Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Roddy Doyle Ha Ha Ha!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Roddy Doyle Ha Ha Ha!

Following is an excerpt from his latest 'opus' Two Pints. I have never been an admirer but he is really taking the pee now. It is desperate shyte. It was being discussed on Pat Kenny this morning and the Times are running excerpts!

Seriously it would be marked as a C in the Leaving Cert and I can't imagine any unpublished author having this being considered for more than it takes the read the sort of stuff here:

- Have yeh made your mind up yet?

– A pint – same as always. I haven’t had to make me mind up since –

– I meant the election.

– Ah, shove it.

– Well, it’s either tha’ or the Greek default.

– Alrigh’ – ************************ it. Who’s goin’ to

win?

– Hard to say. They’re all ************************e.

– I seen Mary Davis’s Sex an’ the City posters.

– There yeh go. An’ Mitchell. He said you can see the house he grew up in – in Inchicore, like – from the window of the Áras. An’ he’s goin’ to look out at it every mornin’.

– An’ shout, ************************ you, Inchicore.

– He could get the queen to do it with him the next time she’s over.

– A bondin’ exercise.

– Exactly. She probably never gets the chance to say “************************” at home.

– Talkin’ abou’ ************************ an’ the queen. What’s McGuinness up to?

– Says he’ll only pay himself the average industrial wage.

– The ************************************’ eejit.

– I’m with yeh. He says he’ll employ six young people with the money left over.

– Cuttin’ the grass an’ washin’ diesel. What about the Senator?

– Ah Jaysis. It looks like Greece is goin’ to miss its deficit target an’ has ************************-all chance of avertin’ bankruptcy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

He is best left to being funny in the area he knew best. I liked the Barry Town trilogy. But a Star called Henry and so on not his best efforts. But no doubt others think different.
    War doesn't work. Give peace a chance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Why do dreadful pop-bands sell albums, why are clichéd action films blockbusters?

People like this kind of thing - it sells.

I don't know why mind - boggles the brain.

At least he will get some royalties from you reproducing the book in your OP!
    I have no money, but I love my life.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mackers View Post
    He is best left to being funny in the area he knew best. I liked the Barry Town trilogy. But a Star called Henry and so on not his best efforts. But no doubt others think different.
    I wonder how much of the Barry town trilogy was Doyle just recording the phrases/slang of the inner city kids he used to teach ?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ShoutingIsLeadership View Post
    At least he will get some royalties from you reproducing the book in your OP!

More people see it the less people will buy it

I agree with you Casillas but they are not treated on par with real music and cinema. This bollix is allegedly one of Ireland's literary icons. A bit like if Norman Mailer had written Marvel Comic books.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I've only read Paddy Clarke Ha Ha Ha. I really liked it, I thought it was a wonderful journey into the mind and consciousness of a young boy. I can still (just about) remember thinking and behaving like Paddy Clarke did (thankfully without the domestic unhappiness)

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Seanie Lemass View Post
    More people see it the less people will buy it

I agree with you Casillas but they are not treated on par with real music and cinema. This bollix is allegedly one of Ireland's literary icons. A bit like if Norman Mailer had written Marvel Comic books.
    Your hatred of RD is driven by his abhorrence of the vile sf/ira/disso cult which has produced literary giants like Danny Morrison and Jimmy Sands who,in case you did not know,was a well known poet,gaelgeoir and revolutionary.....in the Felons' Club.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bob3344 View Post
    I wonder how much of the Barry town trilogy was Doyle just recording the phrases/slang of the inner city kids he used to teach ?
    I'd say most of it. But it worked because he was in a way reporting and recording that section of real life of the inner city. So I'd have to say he was an excellent exponent of it.
    War doesn't work. Give peace a chance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mackers View Post
    I'd say most of it. But it worked because he was in a way reporting and recording that section of real life of the inner city. So I'd have to say he was an excellent exponent of it.
    I'd say it worked because those kids have a funny turn of phrase, yeah he recorded it accurately but does that make him the literary giant that his reputation suggests ?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast