Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 88

Thread: Scientific Study: "there are no mental health consequences of abortion compared to carrying an unwanted pregnancy to term"

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,121
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Scientific Study: "there are no mental health consequences of abortion compared to carrying an unwanted pregnancy to term"

    Interesting study which seems to dismiss alot of what the prolifers say about effects of abortion on womens health.
    They seem to constantly point to studies that suggest an increase in mental health issue in women who have had abortions.

    This study finds otherwise
    Article:
    What happens to women denied abortions? This is the first scientific study to find out.

    Study:
    ANSIRH: Research and other work—The Turnaway Study

    The study is 2 years into its 5 year term.

    Public health researchers with the UC San Francisco group Advancing New Standards in Reproductive Health (ANSIRH) used data from 956 women who sought abortions at 30 different abortion clinics around the U.S. 182 of them were turned away. The researchers, led by Diana Greene Foster, followed and did intensive interviews with these women, who ran the gamut of abortion experiences.

    One of the biggest concerns about abortion is that it causes emotional problems that lead to clinical depression. The Turnaway Study looked at that question from two angles: how did turnaways and women who got abortions feel; and did they become clinically depressed. "It's important to remember that how you feel is a separate question from whether you have a mental health problem," Foster said. We'll look at women's emotions here, and discuss mental health in the next section.

    As the researchers said at the American Public Health Association Meeting, "One week after seeking abortion, 97% of women who obtained an abortion felt that abortion was the right decision; 65% of turnaways still wished they had been able to obtain an abortion." Also one week after being denied an abortion, turnaways told the researchers that they had more feelings of anxiety than the women who had abortions. Women who had abortions overwhelming reported feeling relieved (90%), though many also felt sad and guilty afterwards. All of these feelings faded naturally over time in both groups, however. A year later, there were no differences in anxiety or depression between the two groups.

    In other words, the Turnaway Study found no indication that there were lasting, harmful negative emotions associated with getting an abortion. The only emotional difference between the two groups at one year was that the turnaways were more stressed. They were more likely to say that they felt like they had more to do than they could get done.
    statement from the study:
    We have found that there are no mental health consequences of abortion compared to carrying an unwanted pregnancy to term. There are other interesting findings: even later abortion is safer than childbirth and women who carried an unwanted pregnancy to term are three times more likely than women who receive an abortion to be below the poverty level two years later.

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    13,693
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SKELLY View Post
    Interesting study which seems to dismiss alot of what the prolifers say about effects of abortion on womens health.
    They seem to constantly point to studies that suggest an increase in mental health issue in women who have had abortions.

    This study finds otherwise
    Article:
    What happens to women denied abortions? This is the first scientific study to find out.

    Study:
    ANSIRH: Research and other work—The Turnaway Study

    The study is 2 years into its 5 year term.

    statement from the study:
    BEWARE OF CATHOLICS QUOTING PEER REVIEWED STUDIES ON ABORTION

    A woman guest on Vincent Brown's show last night,a spokesperson for a "right to life" group,claimed that many peer reviewed studies showed that women suffer very negative psychological consequences from abortions. I suspect these studies were done by religious people who subconsciously reached conclusions that verified their anti abortion religious beliefs. Since psychological states of mind are subjective,data on them can easily be misleading. Recently,I read that a high percentage of Irish youth,maybe a third,are depressed and they probably are if depression is feeling the blues!

    But if abortion really does depress women,Eastern Europe,Russia and China must be overwhelmed with depression: most of the female population routinely used abortion instead of contraceptives under Communism, which couldn't supply contraceptives and birth control pills among other advanced consumer goods.

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    46,518
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by patslatt View Post
    BEWARE OF CATHOLICS QUOTING PEER REVIEWED STUDIES ON ABORTION

    A woman guest on Vincent Brown's show last night,a spokesperson for a "right to life" group,claimed that many peer reviewed studies showed that women suffer very negative psychological consequences from abortions. I suspect these studies were done by religious people who subconsciously reached conclusions that verified their anti abortion religious beliefs. Since psychological states of mind are subjective,data on them can easily be misleading. Recently,I read that a high percentage of Irish youth,maybe a third,are depressed and they probably are if depression is feeling the blues!

    But if abortion really does depress women,Eastern Europe,Russia and China must be overwhelmed with depression: most of the female population routinely used abortion instead of contraceptives under Communism, which couldn't supply contraceptives and birth control pills among other advanced consumer goods.
    We must remember this post the next time you quote Jack Welch, or IBEC, or whoever else commissions a survey that just happens to magically back up their way of thinking.
    "So how are things at the Campaign for the Freedom of Information, by the way?" "Sorry, I can't talk about that"

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member gerhard dengler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Utopia
    Posts
    47,431
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SKELLY View Post
    Interesting study which seems to dismiss alot of what the prolifers say about effects of abortion on womens health.
    They seem to constantly point to studies that suggest an increase in mental health issue in women who have had abortions.

    This study finds otherwise
    Article:
    What happens to women denied abortions? This is the first scientific study to find out.

    Study:
    ANSIRH: Research and other work—The Turnaway Study

    The study is 2 years into its 5 year term.


    statement from the study:
    Galway Pro Choice printing press is on overtime? petunia
    Politics.ie moderators should moderate instead.
    Welcome to Political Irish | Political Irish

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member sondagefaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    15,076
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Default

    Interesting. Also worth noting that one of the leading causes of maternal mortality in the UK is suicide after or during pregnancy.
    Mark Murray.

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Dublin BN
    Posts
    4,867
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Interestingly the pro-choice lobby will not like the following;

    Ireland is the only country in Europe that has no set gestational limit for an abortion to be provided. On this basis Ireland provides the strongest protections possible to a woman's life during pregnancy in all of Europe.

    Believe me I never thought I could state the above about Ireland but it is true.

    For the record I'm in the middle on this issue but leaning towards leaving the above alone.

    Europe's abortion rules
    Last edited by Grey Area; 16th November 2012 at 09:02 AM.
    “That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.” - Christopher Hitchens

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    13,693
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grey Area View Post
    Interestingly the pro-choice lobby will not like the following;

    Ireland is the only country in Europe that has no set gestational limit for an abortion to be provided. On this basis Ireland provides the strongest protections possible to a woman's life during pregnancy in all of Europe.

    Believe me I never thought I could state the above about Ireland but it is true.

    For the record I'm in the middle on this issue but leaning towards leaving the above alone.

    Europe's abortion rules
    TIME TO STAND UP TO THE HOLY JOE FUNDAMENTALIST IRISH RELIGIOUS MINORITY WITHIN THE BROADLY TOLERANT RELIGIOUS POPULATION

    Blind beliefs in religious teachings from the ancient world motivates people to dictate laws on abortion. It is none of their business what a woman decides to do with her pregnant body with the help of her doctors. It's time Ireland grew up and stood up to the holy Joe fundamentalist Irish religious minority.
    Last edited by patslatt; 16th November 2012 at 11:57 PM.

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    13,693
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hiding behind a poster View Post
    We must remember this post the next time you quote Jack Welch, or IBEC, or whoever else commissions a survey that just happens to magically back up their way of thinking.
    Skepticism is always admirable!

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    442
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    It just obscures the issue anyway. If 90 percent of all women who had abortions committed suicide, that wouldn't make it right to ban it.

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Royalty toxic avenger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    London
    Posts
    19,031
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Mental health implications are irrelevant - I have always said so. It's a secondary debate. The only debate that matters is about whether there is a human life involved and whether it is right to end such a life.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •