The security line in Dublin airport is one of the slowest and one of the strictest in europe. Most airports in Europe are not this strict, e.g. most of the time it doesnt matter if you dont take out your wash bag. the idea of a "security bag" that you can buy for eur2 to put your stuff in (can someone explain how that bag is related to security ??)
I've just done a round trip to Ireland, on the way in my bag had exactly the same contents. indeed, i've been through a lot of airports with the same contents. on the way back out dublin airport security confiscated soap, some screen cleaner.. the other airports either didnt see this stuff or didnt care about it, it was all hand luggage on the way over too
I travel a fair amount, in the last 12 months I've been through airports in rome, paris, barcelona, stockholm, ottawa, berlin, lyon, nice, marseilles, brussels, charlerloi, milan, poznan, aghero. Dublin & London are by far the most annoying and anal airport security in this list
So some quick questions
- why does dublin airport security have to be stricter / more anal than most other european airports ?
- does anyone believe confiscating soap does anything to help airport security ?
- of all the wash items confiscated in the name of security, how many of them turned out to be dangerous ? (e.g. how can soap be used to threaten people on the plane)
- why is my nivea face wash not dangerous when i get on a plane in france but has to be confiscated when i get on the same plane going in the other direction ?
- if anyone really believes face soap is dangerous then why are they so nonchalant about throwing it in the trash when they confiscate it (surely anything confiscated in the name of security should be handled carefully ??)
- do airports have a commercial interest to maintain anal airport security, even if it doesnt achieve much real security, so they can charge eur3 for a bottle of water