Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: security at dublin airport way over the top

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default security at dublin airport way over the top

The security line in Dublin airport is one of the slowest and one of the strictest in europe. Most airports in Europe are not this strict, e.g. most of the time it doesnt matter if you dont take out your wash bag. the idea of a "security bag" that you can buy for eur2 to put your stuff in (can someone explain how that bag is related to security ??)

I've just done a round trip to Ireland, on the way in my bag had exactly the same contents. indeed, i've been through a lot of airports with the same contents. on the way back out dublin airport security confiscated soap, some screen cleaner.. the other airports either didnt see this stuff or didnt care about it, it was all hand luggage on the way over too

I travel a fair amount, in the last 12 months I've been through airports in rome, paris, barcelona, stockholm, ottawa, berlin, lyon, nice, marseilles, brussels, charlerloi, milan, poznan, aghero. Dublin & London are by far the most annoying and anal airport security in this list

So some quick questions
    - why does dublin airport security have to be stricter / more anal than most other european airports ?
    - does anyone believe confiscating soap does anything to help airport security ?
    - of all the wash items confiscated in the name of security, how many of them turned out to be dangerous ? (e.g. how can soap be used to threaten people on the plane)
    - why is my nivea face wash not dangerous when i get on a plane in france but has to be confiscated when i get on the same plane going in the other direction ?
    - if anyone really believes face soap is dangerous then why are they so nonchalant about throwing it in the trash when they confiscate it (surely anything confiscated in the name of security should be handled carefully ??)
    - do airports have a commercial interest to maintain anal airport security, even if it doesnt achieve much real security, so they can charge eur3 for a bottle of water

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

To be honest, I'd wait an extra hour in line just to ensure there was no Jihad Jim coming on the plane with me.
    Boycott the "Irish" Sun rag.

Politics.ie Debater
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So far as I know, we have to adopt US standards in order to fly there.

We're probably more zealous about applying those standards than other countries.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It had to be beefed up because it failed an audit recently. If you think it's slow, you should try Rome or Istanbul!

Politics.ie Member Upper Chamber's Avatar
    Living amongst the common people, 'The soil, the soil!'
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Dublin is normally fairly sensible but thorough. Heathrow is a demonstration of moronic pedantism.

Politics.ie Member Monday Monday's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Upper Chamber View Post
    Dublin is normally fairly sensible but thorough. Heathrow is a demonstration of moronic pedantism.
    Dublin is bad enough but UK airports take the biscuit.

In the last 12 months I have had a row with a security gimp because my clear plastic bag was not the right type of clear plastic bag and, in Heathrow, I watched in horrified fascination while a security woman squeezed out my toothpaste and sniffed it. (PS that is not a euphemism for anything).

The biggest problem with Dublin is that they have 12 scanners and only staff 2 of them, the staff and procedures are all right.
    Last edited by Monday Monday; 14th November 2012 at 12:42 PM.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Dublin is thorough but reasonable. You should try Boston or Rome.

Dylan2010

I was in 2 airports over the summer , a small regional French one where they had a helpful sign saying no Hand Granades permitted on board. Glasgow airport on the other hand singled a 9 year old boy out of the line who was part of a sports group and made him leave the Q because his plastic bag was too big, it nearly started a riot in the line.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Iphonista View Post
    It had to be beefed up because it failed an audit recently. If you think it's slow, you should try Rome or Istanbul!
    The audit failures didn't relate to baggage handling though.

It's really not significantly better or worse than anywhere else. Charging for the bag isn't something I remember seeing elsewhere. It's not the DAA's fault that rules around liquids are in place. They enforce them pretty reasonably in my runins with them.

Personally I find Paris with it's 2 scanners more arduous. Rome and Madrid are pretty nightmarish as well.

As Mondays mentioned, the issue in Dublin is the underuse of available scanners.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Dublin is grand most of the time. Staff friendly as long as you are and once through its a fairly pleasant place without much walking (except pier D).
    I guess since we have US pre clearance in Dublin ( which is great) we have to be somewhat stricter. At the end of the day it's a minor inconvenience although I do find it daft that you can bring ten 100ml containers on but not one 200 ml one.
    Anyway these lads will soon sort it all out.

Amazing bomb sniffing mice unveiled Trending now | MSN News UK
    Life is hard
    That's why no-one survives

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast