Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: IABA >> NIABA - a blueprint of secession/breakaway?

Politics.ie Member Global Justice's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default IABA >> NIABA - a blueprint of secession/breakaway?

BBC News - Stormont MLAs vote for NI amateur boxing association

Could the recent establishment of the breakaway (dissident if you will petunia) NIABA from the IABA be a blueprint for future secessions not only in sports but of a political nature? If sectarianism is used to once more carve up society, could we see secessions of towns/communities from councils/districts and even from counties? This is what's been invoked.

As for the reasons behind the establishment of a 'NI amateur boxing association', no doubt there was sectarianism, but as rightly pointed out in 'Stormont today' last night by SF, why has it only come to light now, following on the footsteps of Irish Olympic joy? Bitterness I presume. Many unionists have been Sport ministers and they didn't publicise the apparent "chronic" abuse, nor did they confront or try to sort it out. Very dubious.

Last night's Spotlight also did a programme on the Sandy Row boxing club 'sectarianism'.

BBC One - Spotlight

Ian McSorley comes across as a right bitter individual. As concluded by those on the programme, such a secession will entrench sectarianism and division. And the use of "parity" to point-score sectarianism and division is dangerous.

It'll come back and bite them.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Global Justice View Post
    BBC News - Stormont MLAs vote for NI amateur boxing association

Could the recent establishment of the breakaway (dissident if you will petunia) NIABA from the IABA be a blueprint for future secessions not only in sports but of a political nature? If sectarianism is used to once more carve up society, could we see secessions of towns/communities from councils/districts and even from counties? This is what's been invoked.

As for the reasons behind the establishment of a 'NI amateur boxing association', no doubt there was sectarianism, but as rightly pointed out in 'Stormont today' last night by SF, why has it only come to light now, following on the footsteps of Irish Olympic joy? Bitterness I presume. Many unionists have been Sport ministers and they didn't publicise the apparent "chronic" abuse, nor did they confront or try to sort it out. Very dubious.

Last night's Spotlight also did a programme on the Sandy Row boxing club 'sectarianism'.

BBC One - Spotlight

Ian McSorley comes across as a right bitter individual. As concluded by those on the programme, such a secession will entrench sectarianism and division. And the use of "parity" to point-score sectarianism and division is dangerous.

It'll come back and bite them.
    If you support the right of the likes of McClean to play for the Republic,how on earth can you object to certain boxers wanting to represent NI or GB&NI?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DT123 View Post
    If you support the right of the likes of McClean to play for the Republic,how on earth can you object to certain boxers wanting to represent NI or GB&NI?
    Ahh, that old chestnut

Did you even watch the Spotlight programme last night?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

And in theory, where did I object to it?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Global Justice View Post
    And in theory, where did I object to it?
    It'll come back to bite them
    This led me to believe that you were against the NIABA,however if you support their "right to choose",I apologise.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

They should have the right to choose. I'm surprised they havent already tbh.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well,there goes Whinge Free Wednesday
    Even with the usual caveats attached to opinion polls, a 65% to 17% majority for Northern Ireland remaining in the UK suggests little room for doubt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm sorry but don't many IABA boxers represent NI, from both cultural backgrounds? Paddy Barnes boxed for both, as did Wayne McCullough as did Barry McGuigan and he wasn't even from the Six Counties.
    Maybe it's because you can represent NI and Ireland, you can represent NI and GB&NI, and in some cases you could probably represent all three.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RedCloud View Post
    Well,there goes Whinge Free Wednesday
    Whinge Free Wednesday? Fuk me, discussion is frowned upon and prohibited by unionists it seems. It means their singular brain cell will have to be put to use and they'd have to engage in some thinking and critical self-assessment. But no siree, such is against your "culture" and not in your DNA.

The response from unionists have been the standard tedious evasion and deflection.

RedCloud spoke of 'automated replies', well that just about sums up unionist response to any issue. Denial, evade, deflect and troll. Utter ill-educated and ill-cultured delinquents.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Back on-topic, the breakaway of a new group will just create a much bigger and wider problem of sectarian entrenchment and division. As I said, it's a created a blueprint for other arising issues of tribal and sectarian controversy, that can easily be manufactured and the motivations behind the creation of the NIABA are very dubious.

The James McClean situation is a red-herring. Hundreds of thousands of footballers around the globe be in the same situation. The latest being Carl Jenkinson of Arsenal. He represented Finland U21's, but has now made himself available for the England senior team. Will he be hounded out by unionists? Or do they cherrypick?

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast