Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The death of Robert Black: a confession from the soul

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default The death of Robert Black: a confession from the soul

I'm a 48 year old man who kept their nose out of the troubles but Mr Black's death, as with others in recent years, has made it abundantly clear that the troubles did not keep its nose out of me.

I tried to find the outrage in me regarding the attacks on Mssrs Black, Heffron, Kerr etc. and it's not there. I feel an anger at those who will not deliver a better life to the upcoming generation but deaths, like hovering helicopters, security alerts and riots are not what they should be to me.

Speaking to friends and family of the same age, I am met with a mundane tone akin to mine with conversations about Jimmy Savile or the BBC raising more interested debate. It's wrong, and I know it's wrong but I don't feel callous, though I probably should but I do most certainly feel desensitised by so many circumstances that have dominated do much of my existence.

I hate feeling this way but I must be honest and maybe it's a little insight for younger ones on here.
    Ya wouldn't want to have seen t happening but if Eammon Mc Cann and Bernie Devlin conceived a child, ideologically, it would be me

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eskrimador View Post
    I'm a 48 year old man who kept their nose out of the troubles but Mr Black's death, as with others in recent years, has made it abundantly clear that the troubles did not keep its nose out of me.

I tried to find the outrage in me regarding the attacks on Mssrs Black, Heffron, Kerr etc. and it's not there. I feel an anger at those who will not deliver a better life to the upcoming generation but deaths, like hovering helicopters, security alerts and riots are not what they should be to me.

Speaking to friends and family of the same age, I am met with a mundane tone akin to mine with conversations about Jimmy Savile or the BBC raising more interested debate. It's wrong, and I know it's wrong but I don't feel callous, though I probably should but I do most certainly feel desensitised by so many circumstances that have dominated do much of my existence.

I hate feeling this way but I must be honest and maybe it's a little insight for younger ones on here.
    You're a 48 yr old Walter Mitty cartoon character,with more made up stories than Hans Christian Anderson.
    You Troll about the Internet,from dawn to dusk,hoping upon hope to find a wee story that might moisten your panties.
    Something with the headline Unionist/loyalist/Israeli just makes your juices flow.
    There may be a fair few on here who have fallen for your sanctimonious drivel,fairy tales and down right lies. More fool them.

By the way,you fecking idiot,if you want change,stop voting sf/ira/nazi party !!
    Even with the usual caveats attached to opinion polls, a 65% to 17% majority for Northern Ireland remaining in the UK suggests little room for doubt.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Esk, go tell it to Boston college...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's hardly surprising though is it? NI during the Troubles was a world far removed from normal. In retrospect, there was danger around every corner and death and destruction was so commonplace as to barely make the news.

When something like Mr Black's death occurs then after the initial shock dies down, my own feeling is - please don't start this all over again. Not only for the North of Ireland but also I don't want to be reminded of all that happened.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If I am being objective , there are many in NI do not give a stuff about this latest death or indeed most of the other deaths .They tuned out , did not get involved in politics and the Troubles were a parallel universe. For those of us interested ,at times it was hard to keep up with the sheer multitude of incidents and from our tribal perspective were merely doing a dead headcount and looking forward to the next round of retaliation ,everybody got either "hardened" or disinterested.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RedCloud View Post
    You're a 48 yr old Walter Mitty cartoon character,with more made up stories than Hans Christian Anderson.
    You Troll about the Internet,from dawn to dusk,hoping upon hope to find a wee story that might moisten your panties.
    Something with the headline Unionist/loyalist/Israeli just makes your juices flow.
    There may be a fair few on here who have fallen for your sanctimonious drivel,fairy tales and down right lies. More fool them.

By the way,you fecking idiot,if you want change,stop voting sf/ira/nazi party !!
    Why did you not use your DT123 profile to issue this denunciation?

It may have been to your credit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vinoboy View Post
    If I am being objective , there are many in NI do not give a stuff about this latest death or indeed most of the other deaths .They tuned out , did not get involved in politics and the Troubles were a parallel universe. For those of us interested ,at times it was hard to keep up with the sheer multitude of incidents and from our tribal perspective were merely doing a dead headcount and looking forward to the next round of retaliation ,everybody got either "hardened" or disinterested.
    But that's horrible. That said, sod all has been done for the victims who have screams in their heads, never mind those who have the tinnitus of abnormality made normal
    Ya wouldn't want to have seen t happening but if Eammon Mc Cann and Bernie Devlin conceived a child, ideologically, it would be me

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

But that's horrible. That said, sod all has been done for the victims who have screams in their heads, never mind those who have the tinnitus of abnormality made normal
    Not true Esk, they're about to be hit with severe cuts, acquiesced by their elected representatives.

Go figure.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Self medication, suicide or other coping skills are used .Suppose our ancestors in the 20's and 30's would say stop moaning we have WW2 to fight !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vinoboy View Post
    Self medication, suicide or other coping skills are used .Suppose our ancestors in the 20's and 30's would say stop moaning we have WW2 to fight !
    But the party must go on. The peace industry will line their pockets and victims will be used when opportune.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast