Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shatter to introduce legislation to extend office term of Garda Commissoner

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Shatter to introduce legislation to extend office term of Garda Commissoner

Minister Shatter has announced that he is seeking to extend the term of office of the current Garda Commissoner, Martin Callinan, by a further two years. This is despite the fact that there are current regulations in place for members of the force ensuring compulsory retirement at the age of 60. This announcement has come as a considerable surprise, especially considering the current difficulties An Garda Síochána is facing regarding the Kieran Boylan inquiry.

The former Garda Assistant Commissioner, Martin Donnellan, took a case which he lost against the Department of Justice two years ago in regards the compulsory retirement age of 60. At the time the Department outlined that it was of absolute necessity to have the compulsory retirement age for operational reasons. Is this no longer the case then? One wonders why Shatter wants to keep the Commissioner in place - such action has never been undertaken in the past to the best of my knowledge.

The Department of Justice has issued a PR in regards the matter.

Minister Shatter announces extension of term of office of Garda Commissioner

The Minister for Justice, Equality and Defence, Alan Shatter TD, today announced that the Government has approved his proposal for a two year extension of the term of office of the Garda Commissioner, Martin Callinan.

The extension will move Commissioner Callinan’s retirement from August 2013 to August 2015.

Making the announcement, the Minister said "I am very pleased to announce a two year extension of the term of office of the Garda Commissioner, Martin Callinan.

Martin has been Commissioner for just less than two years, but has overseen radical and extensive change to the Garda Síochána. A new Garda roster is currently being piloted, the Garda District and station networks are being reformed and modernised, and a highly effective policing service is being maintained at a time of significant resource constraint. Every aspect of the organisation and operation of the Garda Síochána continues to be examined so as to identify further efficiencies.

At a time of such significant organisational reform, I believe that it is desirable that there should be continuity in Garda leadership, and I am delighted that Martin has agreed to this extension. His leadership over this period, during which there will be further challenges to be met, will be invaluable.

Since his appointment, Central Statistics Office crime statistics have shown reductions in the great majority of crime groups. Specific initiatives have been launched to deal with particular issues of concern: under Operation Fiacla, launched earlier this year by the Commissioner to deal with burglaries, about 2,500 people have been arrested and 1,400 people charged. Week in week out, the activities of gangs have been tackled and this has been reflected in very substantial drugs seizures. The activities of criminal terrorist groups continue to be addressed robustly and cooperation between An Garda Síochána and the Police Service of Northern Ireland has never been better.

I also want to express my appreciation for the vital work that the Garda Síochána, despite all the pressures on resources, continue to do on behalf of the public in the fight against crime. Their contribution is deeply valued by me and the Government."

13 November 2012

ENDS

Note to Editors:

The proposed extension will require a change to the regulations governing Garda retirements, which currently set 60 as the mandatory retirement age for all members. The Minister will return to Cabinet in due course for formal approval of the necessary regulatory change which will technically implement the two year extension for Commissioner Callinan.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

How do you know he's 60 from that?
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If he's only been Commissioner for two years, it makes sense to keep his expertise for a bit longer rather than have someone else have to bed in to the role and get up to speed.

Also, the compulsory retirement is, presumably, more relevant as a principle for operational gardai who could be on the beat and required to have a degree of physical fitness or agility than a desk officer charged with the management of the force.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post
    How do you know he's 60 from that?
    What? Shatter is being forced to introduce legislation to ensure that the compulsory retirement requirement does not affect the Commissioner with the extension of his contract. The extension of his contract to 2015 will ensure that he will be over the age threshold.

The proposed extension will require a change to the regulations governing Garda retirements, which currently set 60 as the mandatory retirement age for all members. The Minister will return to Cabinet in due course for formal approval of the necessary regulatory change which will technically implement the two year extension for Commissioner Callinan.
    Quote Originally Posted by livingstone View Post
    Also, the compulsory retirement is, presumably, more relevant as a principle for operational gardai who could be on the beat and required to have a degree of physical fitness or agility than a desk officer charged with the management of the force.
    Not really actually. The Department argued in the Donnellan case that compulsory retirement age was of vital importance to ensure that officers do not clog up senior positions and in the process undermine the operational capabilities of the organisation into the future.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It might make sense for lower rank Garda to retire at 60, but its mad for the back office supervisor level guys to go at that age.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra View Post
    The former Garda Assistant Commissioner, Martin Donnellan, took a case which he lost against the Department of Justice two years ago in regards the compulsory retirement age of 60. At the time the Department outlined that it was of absolute necessity to have the compulsory retirement age for operational reasons. Is this no longer the case then?
    That was under the previous gov, no?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra View Post
    What? Shatter is being forced to introduce legislation to ensure that the compulsory retirement requirement does not affect the Commissioner with the extension of his contract. The extension of his contract to 2015 will ensure that he will be over the age threshold.
    Sorry yes you're right. Didn't see that last bit.

One wonders why Shatter wants to keep the Commissioner in place - such action has never been undertaken in the past to the best of my knowledge.
    Since his appointment, Central Statistics Office crime statistics have shown reductions in the great majority of crime groups. Specific initiatives have been launched to deal with particular issues of concern: under Operation Fiacla, launched earlier this year by the Commissioner to deal with burglaries, about 2,500 people have been arrested and 1,400 people charged. Week in week out, the activities of gangs have been tackled and this has been reflected in very substantial drugs seizures. The activities of criminal terrorist groups continue to be addressed robustly and cooperation between An Garda Síochána and the Police Service of Northern Ireland has never been better.
    Do you think that may be the reason?

I don't care how old the guy is, if he can do the job let him stay on.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Very important decision, definately a priority. Jeez I will sleep soundly to-night, knowing that it is sorted????????????

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by seabhcan View Post
    That was under the previous gov, no?
    Indeed it was, which is interesting - does the current government wish to remove the compulsory retirement age entirely? Or perhaps increase it for senior positions, or is this just a once off?

Nonetheless it was the Department itself that was strongly defensive of the compulsory retirement age, not the previous Justice Minister. One would assume that it is Shatter steering this move entirely and going against the departments wishes.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Am I right in saying that Shatter is about to increase the retirement age for all gardai?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast