Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 56

Thread: Car Tax: Extra 150m to be raised in massive overhaul. Some will pay more, some less

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    721
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Car Tax: Extra 150m to be raised in massive overhaul. Some will pay more, some less

    Now families face €50 hike in car tax revamp - National News - Independent.ie

    It seems there going to be going after the post 2008 cars.

    The government had to leave it a while before they hit these motorists but it's now 4 years so I think the government will now hit them.

    Some motorists with new / under 4 year cars are paying 160 or 225 a year.

    Some of these cars have large engines (well large for Ireland) and if they were to be taxed under the old system they could be paying multiple times the amount they are now paying.

    I wonder which cars will pay less - older cars or smaller engine cars or small engine post 2008 cars, perhaps.

    And the Irish Independent has learned ministers have targeted motor tax to bring in an extra €150m in December's Budget -- meaning motorists face an average annual increase of 15pc across the board.

    "It doesn't mean that everyone will end up paying 15pc more, some will pay more and some will pay less," a source said.
    Present car rates



  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member Analyzer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Northern Ireland - without forgiveness, there is dysfunctionality.
    Posts
    46,117
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    The Anglo Bondholders have managed to convert Baldy Noonan into some sort of enviromentalist.

    Will they see him eating Feta cheese ?
    Coveney's ambition is the be Ireland's next EU Commissar and Ireland will pay a price as he builds his CV to position himself sufficiently loyal to the nEU empire.

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by YesSireeeBob View Post
    .............

    It seems there ..........
    It seems where?


    Ireland's motorists are always seen as a cash cow and after the great FF F-up of 2008 some re-alignment will have to be done.

    How a new €80,000 car can be liable for an annual ownership tax of €200 (ish) when a 120 year old 2 litre runabout is liable for €660 is beyond logic. The essence of any taxation system is fairness, in our Motoring taxes we have anything but.

    We have close on 30 different rates for annual motor tax, a bureaucratize mess looking like it was designed to keep pen-pushers in jobs. Added to this the logic of having 29 different registration plates (and motor tax offices) seems like an overkill.

    If low emissions is the aim, then the incentive should be on the purchase of the car. Any other taxes should be either flat (i.e. same charge for everyone, or via usage, i.e. on the fuel.

    VRT is a rip-off, it's a tax on tax on tax.

    It's punitive to have to try to run a car in Ireland but it seems it's not expensive enough for some people.

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member Skrynesaver's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Meath
    Posts
    279
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Motor taxation is ridiculous, an increase in fuel taxation would be fairer, though the obvious incentive for the diesel laundries of the border areas, and would remove the administrative redundancy.
    So many lamp posts, so little rope.

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member daveL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    19,569
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Skrynesaver View Post
    Motor taxation is ridiculous, an increase in fuel taxation would be fairer, though the obvious incentive for the diesel laundries of the border areas, and would remove the administrative redundancy.
    I presume you mean do away with motor tax and then increase fuel excise?

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Skrynesaver View Post
    Motor taxation is ridiculous, an increase in fuel taxation would be fairer, though the obvious incentive for the diesel laundries of the border areas, and would remove the administrative redundancy.
    Revenue are introducing a new system of reporting by the fuel retailers of Ireland where they will have to report their daily sales of fuel. Revenue will then use this data to tally the similar data from the wholesalers to identify who is selling all the marked diesel.

    There are enough civil servants in the country to be allocated to checking the sales of marked diesel to eradicate the scourge of washed diesel.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by daveL View Post
    I presume you mean do away with motor tax and then increase fuel excise?
    Annual Motor Tax is an ownership tax. Tax on fuel is directly related to the useage.

    Annual Motor tax is supposed to fund Local Authorities but will now be supplemented by Household Charge/Property Tax.

    I currently pay €480 + €660 + €358 = €1,498 , all for "services" I do not receive.

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    26,763
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    I am sick and tired of these totalitarians trying to micro manage my life. Add it to the "fat tax"

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trainwreck View Post
    I am sick and tired of these totalitarians trying to micro manage my life. Add it to the "fat tax"
    Don't be so sensitive.

    They are not trying to micro manage your life, they are trying to manage the State, which is what we elect and pay them to do.

    Different problems require different solutions.
    Redacted.

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    1,223
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Household_charged View Post
    It seems where?


    Ireland's motorists are always seen as a cash cow and after the great FF F-up of 2008 some re-alignment will have to be done.

    How a new €80,000 car can be liable for an annual ownership tax of €200 (ish) when a 120 year old 2 litre runabout is liable for €660 is beyond logic. The essence of any taxation system is fairness, in our Motoring taxes we have anything but.

    We have close on 30 different rates for annual motor tax, a bureaucratize mess looking like it was designed to keep pen-pushers in jobs. Added to this the logic of having 29 different registration plates (and motor tax offices) seems like an overkill.

    If low emissions is the aim, then the incentive should be on the purchase of the car. Any other taxes should be either flat (i.e. same charge for everyone, or via usage, i.e. on the fuel.

    VRT is a rip-off, it's a tax on tax on tax.

    It's punitive to have to try to run a car in Ireland but it seems it's not expensive enough for some people.


    Anyone who buys an €80,000 car has paid a huge amount of tax to the Exchequer first on earning the income and a second tax take on VRT plus VAT.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •