Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Newsworthiness of social media: is this story news ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Newsworthiness of social media: is this story news ?

Cinnamon is a small restaurant in Dublin , which previous to yesterday was not newsworthy(bar a review or two) and had a mere 11 tweets to its name, then a frustrated staffer calls someone an ars**hole and suddenly we have national news:

Restaurant apologises for offensive tweet to customer - The Irish Times - Tue, Nov 13, 2012
    The staff member using Cinnamon’s Twitter account made the statement after the customer complained of having to wait 40 minutes for service and referred to the restaurant as “a pretentious creche”.
    Is this national news ? Have our media become lazy ? Also is too high a standard being set for small business owners (to run it as national story post apology seems OTT) ?

cYp
    "Yawn , am I alive yet ?"

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Now that The Irish Times has downsized to a smaller paper size they need more stories to fill the paper.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

No wonder the customer had to wait forty minutes, the staff were busy with their TWITTER accounts.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

1. Cinnamon is awesome.

2. Cinnamon is pretentious.

3. Cinnamon is not somewhere to go for a quick bite. It's somewhere to go with friends to spend a morning/afternoon.

And of course this is national news. SOMEONE DID A SWEAR TO SOMEONE ELSE!
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Looks like the source of the story is the restaurant themselves, who "apologised publicly 6 hours after the tweet".....
    What, are they the f#ckin United Nations or something?

It is amazing what you can get viciously attacked for in twitter land. Then you log off and enter the real world (sort of like leaving the matrix) and you realise that twitter is utterly meaningless in the context of reality.

To be fair to the restaurant they were strongly making the point that in the restaurant is the place to complain and not on twitter under what appears to be an anonymous avatar.
    "If we can but prevent the government from wasting the labours of the people, under the pretence of taking care of them, they must become happy." - Thomas Jefferson

I have to say I gave up on twitter as a means of judging the public perception of anything after the last general election. The amount of candidates on there that had way more followers than they obtained actual votes was just laughable.
    "If we can but prevent the government from wasting the labours of the people, under the pretence of taking care of them, they must become happy." - Thomas Jefferson

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Anyone who has read the crap that the IT passes off as technology journalism won't be in the least surprised at this non-story. The problem for the IT is that real journalism costs money and rehashing something that appeared on Twitter or Facebook the other day is cheap.

Regards...jmcc

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I would never take notice of any critique, etc. that appears on twitter. As for here ..

simeongrimes

The old media overestimate the importance of Twitter so they cover it far more than it deserves. If that row took place on the footpath and the editor of the Irish Times overheard it would he consider it news?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast