Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Checking out Belfast

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Checking out Belfast

I don't know whether this is the right place to do this, in fact I'm pretty sure it isn't, but I'll give it a shot anyway, there might be interesting results.

The girlfriend (Portuguese) and a few female friends (France and Portugal) are planning to visit Belfast this week and want to know what to do. They're planning to arrive at Belfast Central and pretty much go on foot from there. I'll hold my hand up, I've been to Belfast a few times, but only for a short time and have no idea what do advise. St. Anne's Cathedral was good from what I remember, and Queen's is situated in a nice area, but that's about it.

I know the murals/black taxi gigs but they're not much interested in that; traditional Irish stuff is of interest, but I've no idea how much, or little, of that Belfast offers.

What would native Belfastians advise? Titanic quarter? Cathedral? Anything else? I'm open to all comers.

Politics.ie Member between the bridges's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

not a native belfastian, but my tuppence worth... cathedral quarter is the 'in' place it's alright but imho a tad manufactured, there would be traditional sessions in plenty of pubs around the city but again quite manufactured for tourists, a few yuppie bars around city hall like the Apartment, ten square etc, Dublin road and shaftbury square area a bit of a rougher mix but can provide a good night out, best thing they can do is go out a go with the flow
    Nec Aspera Terrent..Is Tuaisceart-Éireannach mé. Má tá meas agat ar mo chultúr, beidh meas agam ar do chultúr.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

The Crown, Hewitt's pub, Botanic Gardens, Ulster museum and if they have time and the weather is good they should catch a train to the Folk and Transport Museum at Cultra.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ulster museum and Botanic Gardens, nice one, cheers.

If there's any uniquely British stuff (already mentioned traditional Irish) that should be seen, now's the time, I'm playing the Alliance party on this one.

Politics.ie Member between the bridges's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Glaucon View Post
    Ulster museum and Botanic Gardens, nice one, cheers.

If there's any uniquely British stuff (already mentioned traditional Irish) that should be seen, now's the time, I'm playing the Alliance party on this one.
    Belfast City Council. Belfast City Hall. Exhibitions.
    Nec Aspera Terrent..Is Tuaisceart-Éireannach mé. Má tá meas agat ar mo chultúr, beidh meas agam ar do chultúr.

Politics.ie Member DavidCaldwell's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Climbing up to the dome of Victoria Square (and maybe looking at a few shops on the way out).

The Titanic Museum.

Cave Hill - nice walk up the hill and you can scramble up into the cave (if you don't mind the risk of a slip and the beer cans when you get there); good view at the top

And I would second the suggestion of the Folk and Transport Musuem
    An East Irish

Castle Ray

Ulster Museum and Botanic Gardens are free and right beside Queens. Decent eateries in the area too. Titanic Building is more expensive but worth a look if never done before. Possibly a tour in that area around design room, Thompson Dock and Pumphouse is worthwhile. At night Cathedral Quarter is good and the Duke of York is a good pub with traditional music. Whites Tavern isn't bad either depending on the night. If they're stuck for directions just ask a local, people are generally ambassadorial and visitors very welcome.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Cheers lads, a lot to go on there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Mourne Seafood, n Bank Street (up the side of the big Primark) for a nice meal and then next door to Kelly's Cellars to get a real vibe of Belfast.

As for the evening, depends how old you are
    Ya wouldn't want to have seen t happening but if Eammon Mc Cann and Bernie Devlin conceived a child, ideologically, it would be me

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ohh...take a walk around Bedford Street. The poor standard of whores in Belfast has to be seen to be believed
    Ya wouldn't want to have seen t happening but if Eammon Mc Cann and Bernie Devlin conceived a child, ideologically, it would be me

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast