Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should those who abuse their authority for personal gain receive a harsher punishment?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Should those who abuse their authority for personal gain receive a harsher punishment?

Is it any wonder that people have no respect for the institutions of governance in this country?

Two different stories reported in the past couple of days seem to illustrate the same point. One involves a Department of Social Welfare official who was found to have misappropriated funds:

IT WAS discovered that the employee was making payments and awarding allowances to friends and family.

She was also found to have paid Jobseeker's benefit, relating to a male known to her, into her own bank account.
    Civil servant sacked after diverting dole funds to family - News, Frontpage - Herald.ie

in the other:

A DISTRICT court judge has gone on trial accused of trying to deceive an elderly man into leaving half his estate to her children.
    Judge accused of changing client's will to benefit her own children - Courts, National News - Independent.ie

While this kind of abuse of office (or in the latter case alleged abuse) is hardly novel, surely it is about time that the authorities put their own houses in order and made examples of those who abuse their positions for personal gain by imposing harsher penalties?
    It's either very new cheese or very old meat...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

When I saw the title I thought it was another attack on the mods

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Steam roller! Nice and slow....From the feet up!

I'm wondering why you put the word harsher in the thread title.
    I have no money, but I love my life.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think the second example in the post relates to an alledged issue arising when the person was acting as a solicitor rather than as a judge, but your point is well made.
    “Still paying, still to owe. Eternal woe! ” ― Paradise Lost, John Milton

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cruimh View Post
    When I saw the title I thought it was another attack on the mods

Eh, no, in the grand scheme of things a partisan mod is very small fry compared to a Judge having engaged in fraud or a SW employee defrauding the state.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Howya View Post
    I think the second example in the post relates to an alledged issue arising when the person was acting as a solicitor rather than as a judge, but your point is well made.
    You're quite right, that said I don't think someone who has engaged in this kind of behaviour (allegedly) is fit for office, nor should any leniency be applied in terms of sentencing/penalties.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Bring back the stocks! There should of course be severe penalties but this is Ireland where a severe penalty consists of early retirement and a golden handshake.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ShoutingIsLeadership View Post
    I'm wondering why you put the word harsher in the thread title.
    Perhaps I wasn't clear enough, I meant harsher than the existing penalties that apply in similar circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by redhead View Post
    Perhaps I wasn't clear enough, I meant harsher than the existing penalties that apply in similar circumstances.
    You were more than clear, red; I was being facetious, to make a more general point

Good OP.
    I have no money, but I love my life.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast