Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 44

Thread: Could the Niall Mellon Trust help Irish Homeless People?

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    1,223
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Could the Niall Mellon Trust help Irish Homeless People?

    Could the Niall Mellon Trust help Irish Homeless People?

    Focus Ireland estimate there are some 3,000 homeless families in Ireland with in excess of an additional 500 homeless children in Ireland.

    The Niall Mellon Trust, Housing Charity, to date has helped to house 100,000 South African People having completed more than 20,000 new homes.

    Many of you will know some one who has volunteered their services to work with the trust, and give their labour in South Africa to build simple homes for people to live in.

    There is a certain genius in the organisation, in that many people who never drove a nail , picked up a shovel, laid a brick, nor even held a saw, were able to build homes in South Africa after a ten hour flight there.

    Mellon's efforts in providing homes for so many poor South Africans have earned praise from many quarters including Nelson Mandela and Archbishop Desmond Tutu. In 2004 he was honoured by Dublin City Council.

    He was awarded an Honorary Doctorate in Philosophy by the Dublin Institute of Technology and a Doctor of Law from University College Cork.

    Is there any way we could direct the talents of his organisation towards addressing the growing problem of Homelessness in Ireland, which is a most worthy cause?

    Every person needs the security, comfort, and refuge of a home. Ireland's Homeless Charity Focus Ireland reports that cuts to rent supplement are forcing many more people into homelessness.

    The Irish Government donated €5 million to the Niall Mellon Trust in 2008 following a visit to South Africa by Taoiseach Bertie Ahern. Now the Niall Mellon Trust are looking to Kenya to continue their work.

    With a surplus of Building land lying idle in NAMA and a resourceful organisation Like the Niall Mellon Trust on our doorstep we could abolish homelessness if we could harness the skill, drive and energy of the Niall Mellon Trust!

    noses out of joint as €5m goes to Niall - National News - Independent.ie
    Focus Ireland - Information sheets and Magazines
    Rent supplement cuts 'making people homeless' | Irish Examiner
    Niall Mellon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Last edited by potholedogger; 12th November 2012 at 04:17 PM.

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    12,595
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    I could never understand why Niall Mellon employed Glenda Gilson to stack blocks, instead of local South African labour.

    Some suspicious people might think this enterprise was a massive ego drive and self aggradising popularity stunt from a bunch of absolute vacuous thundercunnies, but not me though.

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member statsman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    54,875
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

    Default

    Maybe Knockraboo Developments could be the first of the NAMA lands to be used in this way?
    Put a thief among honest men and they will eventually relieve him of his watch. Flann O'Brien

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member Rural's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    In the kitchen
    Posts
    27,865
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Default

    Mellon has a bit of an ailment, the same as Mick Wallace is suffering.

    NAMA gets €2.2m from sale of developer's house gutted by fire - National News - Independent.ie
    No a la vista, no en mente!

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    1,223
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Would many of the Irish People who helped to build homes in South Africa help to build homes in Ireland if they could be organised?

    Would the public be as likely to sponsor someone to travel from Boyle to Blanchardstown to build a house as they were to sponsor someone to travel from Boyle to Capetown?

    Mind you traveling from Boyle to Blanchardstown is less exotic than traveling to South Africa!

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by potholedogger View Post
    Would many of the Irish People who helped to build homes in South Africa help to build homes in Ireland if they could be organised?

    Would the public be as likely to sponsor someone to travel from Boyle to Blanchardstown to build a house as they were to sponsor someone to travel from Boyle to Capetown?

    Mind you traveling from Boyle to Blanchardstown is less exotic than traveling to South Africa!
    Why do you want a rank amateur building a house, haven't there been enough rank amateurs like the SF/IRA British Citizen who built Priory Hall.

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    1,223
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by odie1kanobe View Post
    Why do you want a rank amateur building a house, haven't there been enough rank amateurs like the SF/IRA British Citizen who built Priory Hall.
    The Mellon trust seems to magically skill many of it's volunteers in a matter of hours. By all accounts it seems to have worked in South Africia, so why not give ita a chance here. I have not heard of any problems with the South African Mellon built homes.

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Baile Ath Cliath
    Posts
    9,211
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by potholedogger View Post
    The Mellon trust seems to magically skill many of it's volunteers in a matter of hours. By all accounts it seems to have worked in South Africia, so why not give ita a chance here. I have not heard of any problems with the South African Mellon built homes.
    Ask the Labour Partys Jan O'Sullivan. She's being paid E500,000 over 4 years to deal with homelessness.

    Focus Ireland -
    The charity stressed that with 5,000 people homeless, almost 100,000 on the housing waiting lists and tens of thousand more in risk of homelessness due to mortgage or rent arrears,Ireland is in the midst of a housing and homelessness crisis

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by potholedogger View Post
    The Mellon trust seems to magically skill many of it's volunteers in a matter of hours. By all accounts it seems to have worked in South Africia, so why not give ita a chance here. I have not heard of any problems with the South African Mellon built homes.
    Sorry but idea of an enthuastic volunteer, builing the house I was going to live in with no real skills would scrare the bejaysus out of me.

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,925
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by meriwether View Post
    I could never understand why Niall Mellon employed Glenda Gilson to stack blocks, instead of local South African labour.

    Some suspicious people might think this enterprise was a massive ego drive and self aggradising popularity stunt from a bunch of absolute vacuous thundercunnies, but not me though.
    It is fairly simple....Glenda raised a few grand, and worked for free over there, the money all went to materials, none for your labourer, that is not what it was about, now that SA government is funding, there is indeed something for the SA labourer........genius really.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •