Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Will the Referendum result be Challenged??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Will the Referendum result be Challenged??

In light of the Supreme Court decision last week and the apparent apathy of the electorate towards the referendum do you think the result will be challenged?? Kenny stated last week that he could not cancel the referendum because it would trigger a GE so now it can be effectively challenged without an election threat.
    ‘The Great only appear great because we are on our knees: Let Us Rise!’ “ (James Larkin)

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It will be but won't get very far.

Whilst I think the referendum was contaminated it does not make sense to run it again. I think the Cabinet should be made to pay the cost of printing the biased booklet.

And unlike FF, FG and Lab I accept the vote of the people – I don’t expect to keep running it until I get the result I want.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

They have 7 days to mount a challenge, after which it stands. There is precedent in the Hanafin challenge to divorce but that failed as it could not establish that the result had been materially affected. That result was far tighter and so one must conclude that a challenge here is remote and even if it does come, will fail.
    "There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Ernest Hemingway

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Speculation is that it will be challenged.

Speculation over referendum challenge | BreakingNews.ie
    ‘The Great only appear great because we are on our knees: Let Us Rise!’ “ (James Larkin)

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

get over it already....

Foreign, for my mental as well as material well-being
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I hope it's challenged, if only to remove some resources from the fruitcakes for the next time they take over the airwaves thanks to the Coughlan Judgement.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ulster-Lad View Post
    Speculation is that it will be challenged.

Speculation over referendum challenge | BreakingNews.ie
    Not at all the same thing as actually doing it. It really is time to move on.
    "There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Ernest Hemingway

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Toland View Post
    I hope it's challenged, if only to remove some resources from the fruitcakes for the next time they take over the airwaves thanks to the Coughlan Judgement.
    A fruitcake being anyone with the audacity to disagree with the political and social consensus ?
    how dare they ?
    And yet i bet you belive yourself to have liberal views ....hilarious
    Is there any Incompetence Scandal or Corruption that would actually make the Irish electorate wake up ....It seems not, so screw em

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If it is challenged, it's only fair that the judges will also take into account the effects of crazy distortions from the no side.
    Eagla agus eaglais: an bhfuil an fhréamh teangeolaíochta céanna acu?

Politics.ie Member Destiny's Soldier's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This has to be challenged.

Becuase the information, not advertising supplied by the Government was, according to the Supreme Court, neither accurate nor fair. This is different to the Divorce Referendum.

All you're looking for is a switch in 8% of the vote and you have a majority NO vote.

If the basic information supplied by the Government was illegally supplied to the public then why not sell goods that were stolen (in good faith) and expect to get away with it.
    Last edited by Destiny's Soldier; 12th November 2012 at 01:11 PM.
    Cowardice asks the question - is it safe? Expediency asks the question - is it politic?
    Vanity asks the question - is it popular? But Conscience asks the question - is it right?
    And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular;but one must take it simply because it is right. -MLK

Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast