Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Equal Marriage Rights for Polygamists

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Equal Marriage Rights for Polygamists

I was thinking about the definition of marriage and rights the State would be required to provide. Why are polygamists left out of this. Some muslims - just for example - or some mormons - advocate polygamy. Why is their religious rights not accommodated by the State. Surely their definition of marriage is just as valid as anyone else's and deserves equal treatment? Why are they being discriminate against?
    http://ulstersdoomed.blogspot.com/ http://www.requetes.com
    For unionism this is as good as it gets, for nationalism this is the worse it can be.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Morally I have no objection provided it is extended to gay couples. My broader concern is the impact on immigration, taxation, property law.
    Fair and Balanced

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Labour favour further reform of marriage law but they have yet to support polygamy.

The same arguments used to deny Gay Marriage rights can also be used to deny polygamous marriage!

GDPR Deleted
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ArtyisBack View Post
    I was thinking about the definition of marriage and rights the State would be required to provide. Why are polygamists left out of this. Some muslims - just for example - or some mormons - advocate polygamy. Why is their religious rights not accommodated by the State. Surely their definition of marriage is just as valid as anyone else's and deserves equal treatment? Why are they being discriminate against?
    I said exactly the same thing to the missus....the sound of my own voice was the last thing I heard for quite a while.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I dont see a problem so long as the wives agree to it
    If a woman wants to marry a man who is already married, and the first wife agrees to it, then why should the State stop him or her. It would probably contribute to a lesser number of divorces and family breakups - so much less trauma for the children involved.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm totally opposed to polygamy - unless its a woman taking more than one husband.....

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

There must be economic and social advantages too!

Polygamous families would have a much better economy of scale. Such families would have ready solutions to child care allowing higher labour participation rates.

Fewer housing units would be required with obvious benefits for family transport too.

Care of the elderly would have more options too with larger stronger family units to care for the vulnerable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I would have no objection as long as all parties to the marriage commit to one another, ie if in a marriage of one man and two women the man dies or divorces the two women, the two women are still married to one another.

There are no examples I know of where marriage of more than one person has been codified into laws which are compatible with the core tenets of western liberal democracies.

The lack of a symmetrical legal relationship would be highly problematic, for one thing.
    Repeal the 27th.

Politics.ie Member stopdoingstuff's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by potholedogger View Post
    There must be economic and social advantages too!

Polygamous families would have a much better economy of scale. Such families would have ready solutions to child care allowing higher labour participation rates.

Fewer housing units would be required with obvious benefits for family transport too.

Care of the elderly would have more options too with larger stronger family units to care for the vulnerable.
    And you'd get to sleep with loads of people too.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast