Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 24 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Are we on the road to a Dictatorship?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Are we on the road to a Dictatorship?

of course the above statement is alarmest but i cant see how any right thinking democrat can see it any other way.

The supreme court, the guardians of the constitution, ruled on Thursday that the gov. broke the law.
    Yet the gov. ignored the ruling and went ahead with the Referendum.

For the last 30 days all Broadcasting networks had to adhere to the McKenna Judgement.
    Yet the gov. themselves ignored it with there biased campaign. They used 1m euro of taxpayers money to advance their
    own agenda.
    The judgement was dismissed by Shatter and Co. and they ploughed ahead.

Consecutive gov. have eroded the powers and scope of the Referendum commission.
    These actions lead directly to last thursdays ruling.

Democracy has been usurped.

Where does this leave us now?
    We arent far of a dictatorship imo.

The gulf between the establishment and the people is even wider after this farce.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

No.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The real danger is the likes of shatter is so arrogant he will try and overturn the Mckenna judgement on some farcical argument about padeos.

I know i often have a cut at the legal profession, but the supreme court has always shown itself to be on the side of the people, unlike the elected politicans on occasion.
    For that the judges of the supreme court should be applauded.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Con Gallagher View Post
    No.
    Respect your opinion but I am interested in understanding analysis supporting your opinion?
    We're screwed - understand the FACTS here

I think we are far from being a dictatorship as the demolition of Fianna Fáil at the polls last year demonstrated.

The government should have held its hands up on this occasion though in the interests of democracy following the Supreme Court judgement. I do not think the referendum result would have been any different following a stay for a month to six weeks on the vote but it would in my opinion have actually shown that they had respect for the decision of the nations Supreme Court which is after all the protector of all our civil rights.
    "If we can but prevent the government from wasting the labours of the people, under the pretence of taking care of them, they must become happy." - Thomas Jefferson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nonpartyboy View Post
    The real danger is the likes of shatter is so arrogant he will try and overturn the Mckenna judgement on some farcical argument about padeos.

I know i often have a cut at the legal profession, but the supreme court has always shown itself to be on the side of the people, unlike the elected politicans on occasion.
    Thank God for our superior courts. I'd much rather trust them to protect our individual rights than politicians of whatever party

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nonpartyboy View Post

I agree at least there is one branch of the state that has the interest of the people in mind.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

After the ruling, that fat p!mp Gilmore came on the news and actually told the people to ignore the Supreme Court ruling and go ahead and vote YES. Surely that was tantamount to contempt of court?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SKELLY View Post
    of course the above statement is alarmest but i cant see how any right thinking democrat can see it any other way.

The supreme court, the guardians of the constitution, ruled on Thursday that the gov. broke the law.
    Yet the gov. ignored the ruling and went ahead with the Referendum.

For the last 30 days all Broadcasting networks had to adhere to the McKenna Judgement.
    Yet the gov. themselves ignored it with there biased campaign. They used 1m euro of taxpayers money to advance their
    own agenda.
    The judgement was dismissed by Shatter and Co. and they ploughed ahead.

Consecutive gov. have eroded the powers and scope of the Referendum commission.
    These actions lead directly to last thursdays ruling.

Democracy has been usurped.

Where does this leave us now?
    We arent far of a dictatorship imo.

The gulf between the establishment and the people is even wider after this farce.
    I agree with your sentiments.

If only 8% of voters were influenced by the referendum commissions biased report on the referendum the No vote would have won.

This is NOT democracy.

MrFunkyBoogaloo

What does one call the situation whereby a government who openly flouts constitutional law without repercussions and pursues the citizenry for flouting lesser laws? (HHC, Property Tax etc)

Page 1 of 24 1234511 ... LastLast