Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Remembrance Sunday, something we can learn from?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Remembrance Sunday, something we can learn from?

I was watching the BBC earlier and the Rememberance Sunday commemoration at the cenotaph. They were filled with dignity, respect and solidarity. I think we can look to these sort of events as we look towards the centenary of the 1916 rising in less than four years time. We can look at the unity across Britain and beyond in remembering past conflicts. It was a wonderful outpouring of respect from a nation.

Can we come together as a nation in a similar way and maybe use a symbol that could universally remember the rising and not be divisive. I for one hope we do mark 1916 properly and its not hi jacked for other purposes by SF/IRA to legitimise the Provo murder campaign. Many don't like the "Brits" but we have to admit they do know how to put on a brilliant show.
    Last edited by johnny365; 11th November 2012 at 11:22 PM.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by johnny365 View Post
    I was watching the BBC earlier and the Rememberance Sunday commemoration at the cenotaph. They were filled with dignity, respect and solidarity. I think we can look to these sort of events as we look towards the centenary of the 1916 rising in less than four years time. We can look at the unity across Britain and beyond in remembering past conflicts. It was a wonderful outpouring of respect from a nation.

Can we come together as a nation in a similar way and maybe use a symbol that could universally remember the rising and not be . I divisive for one hope we do mark 1916 properly and its not hi jacked for other purposes by SF/IRA to legitimise the Provo murder campaign. Many don't like the "Brits" but we have to admit they do know how to put on a brilliant show.

Brilliant.
    #3amigos

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Haha, first you call for unity, solidarity and respect and then in you start laying into 'SF/IRA'!

Hilarious!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Was murder not as bad in 1916 as it was in the 70s or 80s

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MariaMcN View Post
    Haha, first you call for unity, solidarity and respect and then in you start laying into 'SF/IRA'!

Hilarious!
    I think he basically said what everyone is thinking.

No one wants to see the people who fought in 1916 linked to the IRA campaign.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Northtipp View Post

Brilliant.
    Stop being a spelling Nazi or in that case a misplaced full stop Nazi!!!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The British do stage extremely good ceremonies.

We don't. I remember the 75th anniversary of the Easter Rising ceremony. It was frankly embarrassing - bland, dull, sleep-inducing. A friend of mine was over from the US at the time and watched it with me. His response was simple: "Is that all?"

We have stripped back the presidential inauguration from the visually impressive ceremony it was designed to be to a bland mediocre piece of boredom (and who the hell came up with that hideous chair for the last ceremony? Bin it and bring back the old one!)

We simply don't do ceremony well in this state. We think that making it as bland and forgetful as possible is 'republican'. It isn't. France and the US are republics and they can create stunning and beautiful ceremonies.

The men of 1916 deserve better than the sort of rubbish that the Irish state trots out and regards as ceremonial.
    "In [Ireland] a wife is regarded as a chattel, just as a thoroughbred mare or cow." Mr Justice Butler in the Irish courts. 'Traditional Marriage' in the 1970s.

Politics.ie Member former wesleyan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A better sigh of maturity ( rolls eyes ) would be if the Irish could do a programme like Dads Army, and, like the British, laugh at themselves.
    "What Michael Collins accepted in '22,De Valera accepted in'27 and Gerry Adams accepted in '98.Sooner or later they all come around to accepting the Treaty"

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Can we come together as a nation in a similar way and maybe use a symbol that could universally remember the rising and not be . I divisive for one hope we do mark 1916 properly and its not hi jacked for other purposes by SF/IRA to legitimise the Provo murder campaign. Many don't like the "Brits" but we have to admit they do know how to put on a brilliant show.
    I was acutally thinking something along the same lines.

Not specifically a ceremony but the Easter Lily

Opponents of the lily cite the fact that it is traditionally an SF fund raising symbol.

I think it may be something that all parties could sell and they would all benefit from the proceeds.

That would popularise the Lily and all parties would have an interest in its promotion

Politics.ie Member Mr Aphorisms's Avatar
    Non-binary, Polysexual. Livin' in a safe space.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Can we come together as a nation in a similar way and maybe use a symbol that could universally remember the rising and not be divisive. I for one hope we do mark 1916 properly and its not hi jacked for other purposes by SF/IRA to legitimise the Provo murder campaign. Many don't like the "Brits" but we have to admit they do know how to put on a brilliant show.
    How can we have solidarity and commemorate men such as Connolly who had a pathological hatred of the British Monarchy and army? He was right to have it as well.

This is a troll thread, pure and simple. The men of 1916 were not fighting the Mongolians or the Chinese, they were fighting the British. The same British who are torturing an old woman in the North, you castrated idiot.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast