Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: An open goal missed by the government?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default An open goal missed by the government?

Surely the government and Labour in particular will be rueing a missed opportunity today.

The referendum should have been an achievement, a box ticked-something to win over wavering supporters.

A good progressive concrete thing they can point to.

Instead I sense they must be fuming at the cloud hanging over the result and its their own fault.

Their arrogance in trying to push the limits of the McKenna ruling and their inability to persaude people to take 5 minutes out of their saturday has turned this into a missed opprtunity at least if not an own goal....

Or will people forget about the governmemnt's blundering and just remember the result?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MacCoise2 View Post
    Or will people forget about the governmemnt's blundering and just remember the result?
    Considering 2 out of 3 couldn't be bothered voting, I'd bet on amnesia.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You make it sound as if the proposal was lost. I heard a rumour it passed.
    "There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Ernest Hemingway

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The next referendum should be to kick Donegal out of the Republic. They are clearly not on 'our' wavelength...

SAY NO TO DONEGAL!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Indeed they could join the new Republic of Dublin North West.
    "There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Ernest Hemingway

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sic transit View Post
    You make it sound as if the proposal was lost. I heard a rumour it passed.
    Not at all, I was quite clear. I voted Yes and am glad it passed but dont you think the government would have been hoping for a more positive news day today than questions over legitimacy, cheating and low turnout?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Surely the government and Labour in particular will be rueing a missed opportunity today.

The referendum should have been an achievement, a box ticked-something to win over wavering supporters.

Instead I sense they must be fuming at the cloud hanging over the result and its their own fault.

Their arrogance in trying to push the limits of the McKenna ruling and their inability to persaude people to take 5 minutes out of their saturday has turned this into a missed opprtunity at least if not an own goal....

Not sure I understand what's being said here. If you're saying the referendum should have been fought on a pro and anti government basis, then I think you're definitely wrong. The issue was what mattered, not who was for or against.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

As much as you blame FG & Labour - I think SF missed a trick by not backing the NO side for the hell of it and claimed ownership of the 42% who voted no. SF are way off being politically mature imo.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cricket View Post
    Not sure I understand what's being said here. If you're saying the referendum should have been fought on a pro and anti government basis, then I think you're definitely wrong. The issue was what mattered, not who was for or against.
    Are you saying you really dont get the point or are you just ignoring it?

My point is about the political impact of the referendum. I think the government were hoping for a clear-cut good news story for them pre-budget. That didnt happen.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Iarmhi Gael View Post
    . SF are way off being politically mature imo.
    Because they didnt take the anti-government position for the "hell of it"?

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast