Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Children's Rights referendum passes with 58% supporting it, what are the next steps?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Default Children's Rights referendum passes with 58% supporting it, what are the next steps?

The referendum's been called for Yes at 58% with 33.5% turning out, the lowest since 1996's bail vote. Only 3 areas voted no;Donegal North East, Donegal South West and Dublin West.

Kenny stated:
    “This Government has a deep commitment to families and children. The passing of this amendment will help make childhood a good, secure and loving space for all our children,” he said. “It will also give hope, reassurance and confidence to parents, foster parents and vulnerable children.”
    Earlier, the editor of Alive magazine, Fr Brian McKevitt, who campaigned for a No vote, said he accepted the democratic decision of the people.
    The question now is what legislative steps will follow this? The Yes side have been talking about reforming welfare and adoption law, but how much impact do people expect to see? Or is this simply a small (necessary) alteration that will be realised in a very limited number of family law cases?
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I would say the Government are quite surprised at the result!

I'm surprised it was so close, I thought the margin would be bigger than that.

That can probably be explained by the strong possibility that anyone who wanted a no vote went out, whereas people who wanted a yes vote were laxed and weren't too bothered to get out there and vote.
    "A people without the knowledge of their past history, origin and culture is like a tree without roots" - Marcus Garvey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I see Kenny's been at the sherry again. What exactly has this seismic change been that's going to suddenly make childhood 'a good, secure and loving place'?

There's a hell of a lot more work to be done on the ground than the insertion of a paragraph of wishful thinking into the Constitution.
    Abortion is an act of violence. Violence demeans humanity, particularly violence against women and children.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Apart from facilitating a transition from long-term fostering to adoption, I don't know what impact this amendment may have.

The most likely short-term impact is that children in long-term foster care will find it easier to be adopted by their foster parents.

In addition, the courts will now be bound to pay a lot more attention to the wishes of children in proceedings concerning them.

The longer-term impact of this amendment can't be assessed yet, at least not until a body of case law has built up.

I'm not expecting anything dramatic from the Supreme Court or the Oireachtas apart from a few tweaks to adoption law.

It's a fairly low-key change, despite the hysterics here and elsewhere.

In fact, it's so low-key, I'd question its value. I'm not against it, I'm just not strongly for it.

It's like adding having one more pint after drinking 10 pints - a marginal difference.
    Mark Murray.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

a bit of honesty, would be nice...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It was largely uncontroversial in terms of effect and mostly strong on the principle it aims to uphold. It will quite probably bring some adjustments in legislation but they too are also unlikely to be opposed politically. As they say nothing to see here, move along now.
    "There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Ernest Hemingway

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

They're going to make a mockery of this result , when once again for the 5th (?) year running cut the children's allowance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Next step is the Adoption Bill 2012 will be passed.

Foreign, for my mental as well as material well-being
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What are our next steps?

To fund our childcare services adequately and immediately. And to do so no matter what the state of the economy is.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast