Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 24 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: What does NO vote in deprived areas say to you?

Politics.ie Member Disillusioned democrat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default What does NO vote in deprived areas say to you?

I had naively assumed that the referendum was a slam dunk - who's NOT for better child protection, eh?

It seems the good people of Jobstown are, and many other similarly deprived areas. The question is why?

My cynical intuitive assumption was that it proves the theory that kids are big sources of incomes and allowances in these areas and that one unheralded feature of a YES vote is more state power to remove kids from unsuitable parents - this depriving them of benefits and allowances, but maybe I'm being unfair.

Does any have any thoughts on why many deprived areas are voting NO?
    The more things change....

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think there could be an element of what you say in the minds of some of those voters. However, I think its more likely that it is purely an anti-government vote.

Added to which, from what I hear, some opposition parties who were publically in favour of the Referendum were privately against it.

C

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Because people living in so called "deprived" areas have become used to having their lifestyle and locality funded by the taxpayer, and are angry at recent cutbacks and the horror of being asked to work for a living. It's purely an anti-society vote.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Disillusioned democrat View Post
    I had naively assumed that the referendum was a slam dunk - who's NOT for better child protection, eh?

It seems the good people of Jobstown are, and many other similarly deprived areas. The question is why?

My cynical intuitive assumption was that it proves the theory that kids are big sources of incomes and allowances in these areas and that one unheralded feature of a YES vote is more state power to remove kids from unsuitable parents - this depriving them of benefits and allowances, but maybe I'm being unfair.

Does any have any thoughts on why many deprived areas are voting NO?
    Because they are more likely to have to deal with state child services, social workers etc and know just how incompetent they are.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I can't imagine the types who go around all day in their bedclothes to educate themselves on what the referendum is about.
    Simple minds think that the government will take away children from them. Children being their source of income from state benefits.
    Oh, this referendum has pushed me to the right. I feel it in my bones.
    Boycott the "Irish" Sun rag.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

That they hate children?

Politics.ie Member Marcos the black's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Some areas (and posters) just vote no to everything, regardless of the issue...
    You'll never go broke appealing to the lowest common denominator.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

We saw exactly the same phenomenon during the fiscal treaty referendum where disadvantaged areas overwhelmingly voted 'No'.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

These areas will suffer most but no one will be exempt of the possibility of losing there children
    Last edited by dustin; 11th November 2012 at 01:51 PM.

Politics.ie Member Upper Chamber's Avatar
    Living amongst the common people, 'The soil, the soil!'
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The politics.ie poll showed a majority voting no. Does that mean that most p.ie subscribers are working class?

Page 1 of 24 1234511 ... LastLast