Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where's the Seanad Abolition Referendum?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Where's the Seanad Abolition Referendum?

I am pretty sure that there was a referendum promised for this year on whether or not to abolish the Seanad. We are now into November, and I see nothing on it at all. Is this another in a long line of broken promises by this Government? Are they even going to go ahead with This?

PS Mods, I made a mistake regarding the timing of the referendum- can you close this thread, please?
    Last edited by Mattarigna; 11th November 2012 at 01:30 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The constitutional convention (which is meeting soon or has already met) will decide on the matter very soon I think.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red_93 View Post
    The constitutional convention (which is meeting soon or has already met) will decide on the matter very soon I think.
    Do they have the option to consider reforming it?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Really? I can't be the only one who believed that the Seanad abolition referendum was proposed for this year......

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mattarigna View Post
    I am pretty sure that there was a referendum promised for this year on whether or not to abolish the Seanad. We are now into November, and I see nothing on it at all. Is this another in a long line of broken promises by this Government? Are they even going to go ahead with it?

PS Mods, I only just noticed the Seanad abolition thread - can you move this one, please?
    Did you look at the government legislative programme? It is down there as No 120 (the C list). The plan is to have around 2 referendums every year. The Seanad referendum, as has been repeated ad nausaum, is scheduled as next Autumn's referendum. The Amendment of the constitution (abolition of the Seanad) Bill will be going to cabinet in the first half of next year and most likely be going through the Oireachtas in September for a referendum in November, as was always the plan.
    "In [Ireland] a wife is regarded as a chattel, just as a thoroughbred mare or cow." Mr Justice Butler in the Irish courts. 'Traditional Marriage' in the 1970s.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Do they have the option to consider reforming it?
    They should do anyway. In reality I doubt they will. Few countries our size in Europe with no layer of federal govt have a bicameral system and it is becoming increasingly difficult to justify because of cost etc.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Really? I can't be the only one who believed that the Seanad abolition referendum was proposed for this year......
    No next year. This year's two referendums were on the Fiscal Treaty and on children's rights.
    "In [Ireland] a wife is regarded as a chattel, just as a thoroughbred mare or cow." Mr Justice Butler in the Irish courts. 'Traditional Marriage' in the 1970s.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Interestingly enough, the seanad is mentioned something like 47 times in the constitution.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red_93 View Post
    Interestingly enough, the seanad is mentioned something like 47 times in the constitution.
    Going from memory I think it is 27.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast