Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Democracy .. Irish style - Voter turnout araound 30%? .. On a SATURDAY

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Democracy .. Irish style - Voter turnout araound 30%? .. On a SATURDAY

Hi Guys,

Looking through the @RTENEWS tweets ( https://twitter.com/rtenews ) about voter turnouts across the country it looks like it will average at about 30% or so. And this on a Saturday. I would assume the turnout would have been much lower if it were on a week day so?

I reckon this compounds Irish Apathy toward actually voting .. couldnt be bothered, shur someone else with take the responsibility.

Attitude toward this referendum I reckon is their was no real opposition so voters said "Couldnt be bothered".

Voting is a privilege apparently? But most Irish just couldnt care less it seems.
    Last edited by robut; 10th November 2012 at 11:39 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It is a privilege. I'm not aware of any other countries where all changes to the Constitution are put to the people (though I'm sure there are some).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by robut View Post

Attitude toward this referendum I reckon is their was no real opposition so voters said "Couldnt be bothered".

Voting is a privilege apparently? But most Irish just couldnt care less it seems.
    We'll see what the results are like? The poll here doesn't indicate it's a giveaway...we'll see.
    In a lot of countries, they would have low turnout if they didn't actually legally oblige people to vote...maybe you'd prefer that? You can be fined for not showing up and they put the voting on weekends...better not plan to be away that particular weekend!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This referendum simply failed to ignite public interest which might suggest that it was not necessary in the first place. I'm glad they are doing this on a Saturday. Midweek is stupid.
    Life is hard
    That's why no-one survives

Politics.ie Member Mr Aphorisms's Avatar
    Non-binary, Polysexual. Livin' in a safe space.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'll say why I didn't vote.

The governments of Ireland since the Free State have been unable to do anything remotely positive when one really looks hard at it. Ireland was saved by the EU which has helped it enormously. It is no coincidence that since the EU, Ireland has been on the up, if you will.

Our governments though, without the EU have done little for change in Ireland. What hope is there in the FG/LAB government actually helping children? I very much doubt if they will, unless the EU smacks them to do so. This is a nice referendum that allows the government to act caring and compassionate.

I have no faith at all in the Irish government. I unequivocally have no faith in the Irish populace. We're the worst country for voting turn outs and knowledge of the EU, for example. We elect the same parties every year and only in Ireland could FF have survived after wrecking the country. Not only have they survived, they're on their way up again.

It is simple: This country is a political joke lampooned across Europe. We have not got the politicians or the people to have a functioning democracy. Unfortunately, the EU is really hitting us hard lately. Hopefully that will change and they will again, drag us out of the mess that we the people created by electing these governments, but also, for not paying attention to what happens in politics in Ireland, just as they dragged Ireland out of the primitive wreck we were living in ages ago.

This is the first time I have ever not voted. I couldn't have even been arsed to have went down and wrote "I am for the ideas of the First Dail regarding children."

Let the EU sort all of this out, which they intend to do. Our government cannot do anything positive. Only external forces can help this kip.

Politics.ie Member Marcos the black's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hrmmmm... They should let P.ie posters run the country.... We just know Sooooo much better.
    You'll never go broke appealing to the lowest common denominator.

simeongrimes

It may be that people who are not particularly interested in politics want to be left alone on a Saturday. Voting is an obligation to them and they will do it on a working day but not on their precious day off when they have other plans. All of us here get some kind of buzz out of politics but a lot of people don't.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by simeongrimes View Post
    It may be that people who are not particularly interested in politics want to be left alone on a Saturday.
    I think a lot of people don't see the relevance of the amendment to their own lives.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The sheeple in action again, whatever your opinion you should always register your vote and post your ballot, even if you just write "************************ers" on it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by firefly123 View Post
    This referendum simply failed to ignite public interest which might suggest that it was not necessary in the first place. I'm glad they are doing this on a Saturday. Midweek is stupid.
    It was hard to remember to vote today as we're not used to it. I don't mind voting on a Saturday, as long as they announce the date well in advance so you can plan to be around to actually vote. I think it's terrible closing down schools for a day so that voting can happen, so I was glad it happened on a Saturday this time. Also when I was a student, I wanted it on a weekend as I didn't study where my vote was registered.

Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast