Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 104

Thread: Improving and modernizing Dublin

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member Clanrickard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Last outpost of freedom
    Posts
    31,844
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Improving and modernizing Dublin

    How to build a better Dublin - The Irish Times - Sat, Nov 10, 2012

    10 ways to make Dublin better - The Irish Times - Sat, Nov 10, 2012

    The IT is running a series all week on the make Dublin better. This is something that does not get the profile it deserves in Irish public life. On the contrary any improvements are lashed by the parish pumpers who think any money spent in Dublin is money lost to them. A thriving large metropolitan city (of which Dublin is our only one) ads 2-3% to GDP. The suggestions in the links above are useful and relatively cheap but could pay back 10 fold.

    It will be interesting to see how this series develops and what will come out of it. Judging by Hogans slash and burn attitude to local government I think the single biggest boost, that of a directly elected Mayor, won't happen as the Kennys, Hogans and Rings of this world don't want competition for power.

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    213
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    I would like to see a systematic widening of footpaths in the city centre. In particular Baggot Street, George's Street and Dame Street would benefit hugely from that. I'd like to see an O'Connell Street style redesign for Dame Street leading to an overhauled College Green; Dublin's finest space that is not being shown in it's best light at the moment.

    We should continue the trend to increase bicycles use. Complete the bike path around both the canals and greatly expand the Dublin bike scheme.

    Then all we have to do is build DART underground and metro north and we're sorted!

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member Clanrickard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Last outpost of freedom
    Posts
    31,844
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Carson View Post
    I would like to see a systematic widening of footpaths in the city centre. In particular Baggot Street, George's Street and Dame Street would benefit hugely from that. I'd like to see an O'Connell Street style redesign for Dame Street leading to an overhauled College Green; Dublin's finest space that is not being shown in it's best light at the moment.

    We should continue the trend to increase bicycles use. Complete the bike path around both the canals and greatly expand the Dublin bike scheme.

    Then all we have to do is build DART underground and metro north and we're sorted!
    College Green could really be a great plaza if done right.

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,416
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    At the risk of being controversial, why are there so many people on social housing living so close to the city centre? While such communities may have lived there for generations, is it appropriate that families with young children live in flats, when there are so many vacant houses in the suburbs? Rightly or wrongly, there is a perception that these areas are ghettos associated with criminality. Should the city council relocate the people there and redevelop the locations with private rented accommodation or even better green spaces?

    Other improvements:
    - taxes raised in Dublin should be retained and spent there.
    - integrated public transport
    - level derelict properties
    - protect building with heritage
    - remove the clutter from great streets like parliament st, with its canopies, neon lights, advertising
    - no methadone clinics in the city centre
    - enforce on the spot fines for littering and extreme public drunkenness
    - a plaza in college green with the bank of Ireland building being used as public space
    - a directly elected mayor with real powers or even seat at the national cabinet
    - Dublin getting a fairer share of senators (the senate having been reformed and made into something useful like hold the government to account, review government appointments, check out EU legislation).

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member Clanrickard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Last outpost of freedom
    Posts
    31,844
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Also when I tried to get on Dublin Bus I was told they only take coins, no notes. I only has notes. With the Taxi not taking five we had to walk. In this day and age can't the driver take notes?

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    150
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    1. Move all methadone clinics outside the city centre
    2. Rigidly enforce anti-begging laws (combined with a concerted effort to house the homeless)
    3. Pedestrianise the area bordered by Grafton Street, Stephen's Green, Dame Street and George's Street.
    4. Create a new entrance to Dublin Castle from George's Street. Ideally this would be in line with (or within view of) the entrance to the George's Street arcade.
    5. Pedestrianise the area around Christchurch Cathedral, with outdoor seating along Jurys Hotel and an open air market with buskers, caricature artists, etc. around the Cathedral. This would recognise the Cathedral's central place in the city's history and be a nice counterbalance to a pedestrianised College Green (although the new Luas line will take away from that somewhat)
    6. Compulsory purchase of the many derelict buildings around the city centre.
    7. Prevent Dublin Bus from storing its buses on the street overnight.
    8. Push ahead with the planned rolling out of Dublinbikes and DART Underround.

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member Dan_Murphy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Cork
    Posts
    3,805
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Clanrickard View Post
    On the contrary any improvements are lashed by the parish pumpers who think any money spent in Dublin is money lost to them.
    Unfortunately, so long as the counties (provinces?) don't have contorl over their own taxation and spending, the parish pumpers are correct. The central pot can be considered for all intents and purposes other peoples money.

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member Franzoni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Dublin Wood Quay ...now Northside
    Posts
    15,330
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Con Gallagher View Post
    At the risk of being controversial, why are there so many people on social housing living so close to the city centre? While such communities may have lived there for generations, is it appropriate that families with young children live in flats, when there are so many vacant houses in the suburbs? Rightly or wrongly, there is a perception that these areas are ghettos associated with criminality. Should the city council relocate the people there and redevelop the locations with private rented accommodation or even better green spaces?
    This was done where i lived in the inner city by Charlie Haughey....all in the name of 'progress'

    And what was built instead....lots of overpriced apartments sold to wealthy familes from the suburbs or in some cases 'poor farmers' for their kids or as an 'investment' offset by their children subletting some rooms and then whinging about the state of Dublin and the junkies etc...

    If your going to post this sh1te under the guise of 'improving' the inner city at least be honest and call it what it is...a land grab....
    What the imagination can't conjure, reality delivers with a shrug

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,416
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Franzoni View Post
    This was done where i lived in the inner city by Charlie Haughey....all in the name of 'progress'

    And what was built instead....lots of overpriced apartments sold to wealthy familes from the suburbs or in some cases 'poor farmers' for their kids or as an 'investment' offset by their children subletting some rooms and then whinging about the state of Dublin and the junkies etc...

    If your going to post this sh1te under the guise of 'improving' the inner city at least be honest and call it what it is...a land grab....
    I referred to private rented accommodation or green spaces in place of public rented accommodation(in fact there is no reason why the city council could not retain the properties but charge market rent ) but if you choose to read something into my post which is not there and the dismiss this strawman argument with vulgarity, that reflects more on you than if does on me.

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    150
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    The city needs to assert its identity a bit more. There should be more emphasis on the city's colours, maybe a line of Dublin flags along the keys. If another county (/counties) are playing in Croker, the flags should alternate between Dubs and theirs. The idea should be that Dublin is hosting the other county as a guest. Failte Ireland could use it as an opportunity to promote that county as a destination for the people of Dublin.

    Another way this could be done would be to have an annual Dublin day. St Petersburg does this on St Peter's day, pedestrianising the main thoroughfare, with open air concerts across the city, etc.

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •