Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Weird change of tack in David Quinn's arguments in favour of conservative Catholicism.

Foreign, for my mental as well as material well-being
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Weird change of tack in David Quinn's arguments in favour of conservative Catholicism.

Quinn's latest Independent article defending RC reaction displays the man's hard neck yet again. Quinn is now finally arguing (lord be praised) that the safest place for children to be is in the home. Well done, Quinny.

At home with parents is safest - Analysis, Opinion - Independent.ie

I wonder why it was then, that he and Breda O'Brien spent so many column inches (at the time when the issue was institutional and clerical abuse, remember?) underlining how the vast majority of child abuse was carried out by family members and that institutional and clerical abusers were only trotting after fathers and brothers and uncles.

It really does illustrate how Quinn's apologetics work: in short, never let the truth get in the was of the most convenient spin of the moment.

And the spin at the time of course was to concentrate our minds on the factoid that priests were less likely to abuse children than those children's daddies.

Because that was the case being made. Granted Breda O'Brien pushed this particular piece of diversionary obfustication harder, but Quinn peddled it regularly and with the same quasi-horrified dishonesty too. Remember them (and others committed to the same cause) affecting shock and disgust at statistics stating that most abuse occurred within the family?

But now Quinn's brief is to "defend the family", he tells us that it is only natural to expect that most such abuse should happen in the home, and that daddies are grand after all.

Maybe I should be happy at the progress, because the verbiage is marginally closer to the truth than the verbiage then.

But hey, what's a little thing like the truth when you're defending The Truth!
    Last edited by Toland; 10th November 2012 at 12:25 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You're correct - they would be better under state custody were they only die or even in Bryn Estyn were they can be sold instead of giving it away for free
    http://ulstersdoomed.blogspot.com/ http://www.requetes.com
    For unionism this is as good as it gets, for nationalism this is the worse it can be.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So basically you are saying that every child in the Country should be taken into care?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quinn recently went so far as to say that children were even better off being raised by same sex couples than being left in orphanages. No doubt such comments will be resurrected in the event of any gay marriage referendum.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by storybud1 View Post
    So basically you are saying that every child in the Country should be taken into care?
    Is that a serious contribution to the discussion?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ArtyisBack View Post
    You're correct - they would be better under state custody were they only die or even in Bryn Estyn were they can be sold instead of giving it away for free
    What is it with you and hysterical hyperbole?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Toland View Post
    Quinn's latest Independent article in the Indo defending RC reaction displays the man's hard neck yet again. Quinn is now finally arguing (lord be praised) that the safest place for children to be is in the home. Well done, Quinny.

At home with parents is safest - Analysis, Opinion - Independent.ie

I wonder why it was then, that he and Breda O'Brien spent so many column inches (at the time when the issue was institutional and clerical abuse, remember?) underlining how the vast majority of child abuse was carried out by family members and that institutional and clerical abusers were only trotting after fathers and brothers and uncles.
    I read the article Toland, and 'the family' he seems to be talking of, is the one based on the marriage of the children's biological parents, backed up by the results of studies comparing the nuclear family with other family forms. It would seem obvious that since most children emerge from this type of family as mature people, then it could be concluded that it is a relatively safe place for most children.

Do you disagree with this?
    Heaven and Earth Meet in the Human Heart!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Radix View Post
    I read the article Toland, and 'the family' he seems to be talking of, is the one based on the marriage of the children's biological parents, backed up by the results of studies comparing the nuclear family with other family forms. It would seem obvious that since most children emerge from this type of family as mature people, then it could be concluded that it is a relatively safe place for most children.

Do you disagree with this?
    But is the point of the OP not that this is completely at variance with previous statements by Quinn?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Toland View Post
    Is that a serious contribution to the discussion?
    I simply do not know what the post is about? Quinn is stating the bleeding obvious that most abuse takes place within the family. How on earth can that be stopped unless all Children are taken into care?

Politics.ie Member gerhard dengler's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by storybud1 View Post
    I simply do not know what the post is about?
    neither does the poster for that matter.
    Politics.ie moderators should moderate instead.
    Welcome to Political Irish | Political Irish

Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast