Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Why witch-hunts are never good..

Politics.ie Royalty toxic avenger's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Why witch-hunts are never good..

We have due process for a number of reasons, chief of which is to prevent innocent people from being subjected to trial by innuendo. In recent days we have seen something approaching a level of hysteria, mostly media-driven, in relation to peds under the bed. It reached a nadir this morning with Philip Schofield's stunt with the internet list of people who could be entirely innocent.

I posted this earlier about the Schofield stunt:

The blogs that named these people are largely repeating the claims of maybe two blogs - by dint of sheer repetition the less discerning members of the public then believe there must be something to these claims about these names, as they're 'all over the internet'. And maybe, in a couple of cases, they are right...

But what if they're wrong???
    How many innocent men need to be smeared and put through hell (plus be left with the mud that sticks)because a couple of cranks on the internet listed their names on the basis of what they heard from someone who knew someone who heard something? The problem with situations like this is that there will often be a couple of names which turn out to be correct (and I know full well that at least one of the names mentioned is indeed correct), and that therefore leads people to say 'well, he was right about such and such, he must be correct about the rest too'. Therefore you actually now have reputedly sane people quoting David Icke's blog as an authority!!! But this same man (who might be right about at least one name, and then only because he got the name from others' work and incorporated it into his web of crazy) also claims that the entire royal family are child-killing, shape-shifting lizards, and he pretty much includes with them virtually any senior politician of the last 20 years. He's a paranoid fantasist with a severe mental-health issue (I'm sorry, but it's true), yet on the basis of what's in his blog, as well as others, people are actually feeling confident enough to name several people as paedophiles....

Have we learned anything from the Cleveland scandal? Or, for that matter, from Salem???? So yes, Cameron was entirely correct to say what he did in response to the idiotic Schofield...
    But now we have The Guardian naming the Tory grandee concerned in the Newsnight investigation last week, saying that their investigations have revealed 'troubling discrepancies' between the evidence given to the North Wales Inquiry in the 1990s and what is being said now. Plus the evidence of man who was abused at the same care home saying that he believes the man named is a victim of mistaken identity.

Now I'm not commenting on whether the new evidence is sufficient to prove innocence beyond doubt, but it does show that internet lynch-mobs are not the way to go about uncovering this kind of alleged abuse or any other kind of alleged criminality. Perhaps there is still something to it all, or perhaps it is a ball of nothing. The point being that I am not in a position to decide, and nor is anyone else here, nor anywhere on the internet. Witch-hunts might catch a guilty party or two in the trawl, but not before condemning or smearing several innocent people too...

'Mistaken identity' led to top Tory abuse claim | UK news | The Guardian

GDPR Deleted
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by toxic avenger View Post
    Perhaps there is still something to it all, or perhaps it is a ball of nothing. The point being that I am not in a position to decide, and nor is anyone else here, nor anywhere on the internet. Witch-hunts might catch a guilty party or two in the trawl, but not before condemning or smearing several innocent people too...
    You won't get any argument from me, but I've always taken that position regardless of who was being hunted.

Odd that you should bother posting this on mob central though.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

We have due process for a number of reasons, chief of which is to prevent innocent people from being subjected to trial by innuendo. In recent days we have seen something approaching a level of hysteria, mostly media-driven, in relation to peds under the bed. It reached a nadir this morning with Philip Schofield's stunt with the internet list of people who could be entirely innocent.

But now we have The Guardian naming the Tory grandee concerned in the Newsnight investigation last week, saying that their investigations have revealed 'troubling discrepancies' between the evidence given to the North Wales Inquiry in the 1990s and what is being said now. Plus the evidence of man who was abused at the same care home saying that he believes the man named is a victim of mistaken identity.

Now I'm not commenting on whether the new evidence is sufficient to prove innocence beyond doubt, but it does show that internet lynch-mobs are not the way to go about uncovering this kind of alleged abuse or any other kind of alleged criminality. Perhaps there is still something to it all, or perhaps it is a ball of nothing. The point being that I am not in a position to decide, and nor is anyone else here, nor anywhere on the internet. Witch-hunts might catch a guilty party or two in the trawl, but not before condemning or smearing several innocent people too...

One person's witch-hunt is another person's crusade.

Politics.ie Royalty toxic avenger's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by onlyasking View Post
    One person's witch-hunt is another person's crusade.
    God preserve us from those with little evidence but a whole world of righteous indignation...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

witch hunts are good unless your a witch.
    All men dream: but not equally. -T. E. Lawrence

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Does your suggestion extend to Sean Quinn, Sean Fitzpatrick, Bertie Ahearne, etc
    Or to whom do you extend due process to?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It can so easily lead to tabloid fueled hysteria that can result in this;

BBC NEWS | UK | Magazine | Whispering game

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

AS a FF supporter I know what its like to be on the receiving end of a witch hunt. But life has a way of balancing itself out and as an oldie I know that for certain based on experience. Between scapegoating and witch hunting the internet has become the best invention ever for the purveyors of such evil
    People demonise Fianna Fail and they are entitled to do so but same people are not capable of answering a few awkward questions themselves.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Isnt witch hunts what p.ie is all about?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by oggy View Post
    AS a FF supporter I know what its like to be on the receiving end of a witch hunt. But life has a way of balancing itself out and as an oldie I know that for certain based on experience. Between scapegoating and witch hunting the internet has become the best invention ever for the purveyors of such evil

LOL Jesus SF try to be populist like FF and FF play the victims like SF. ahhhhh the world is ending.
    All men dream: but not equally. -T. E. Lawrence

Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast