Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Turnout on the Islands: Less than 5% on Inishboffin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Turnout on the Islands: Less than 5% on Inishboffin

According to RTE the turnout for the referendum on the Islands today was very slow. Some 2000 were entitled to vote today. In the case of Inishboffin just 3 of the 64 voters on the Island cast a ballot i.e. as turnout of less than 5%!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Has it closed yet?
    Or is it the same time we have on the mainland?
    After all, tomorrow is another day.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gijoe View Post
    According to RTE the turnout for the referendum on the Islands today was very slow. Some 2000 were entitled to vote today. In the case of Inishboffin just 3 of the 64 voters on the Island cast a ballot i.e. as turnout of less than 5%!
    It mentioned on RTE Aertel that an Air Corps helicopter brought the ballot boxes to Tory Island today despite the fact that the regular ferry service ran to and from the island throughout the day. I would love to know who decided to use the Air Corps and how much it cost compared to the ferry.

Re Inishbofin - the reality is that there is no-one living on the island (except for people who holiday there in the summer - and on the census night allegedly).Its the same with Gola island. Its about time people in authority stopped treating these places as inhabited islands when the dogs on the street know that they are not.
    Last edited by BrightDay; 9th November 2012 at 08:34 AM. Reason: typo

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BrightDay View Post
    It mentioned on RTE Aertel that an Air Corps helicopter brought the ballot boxes to Tory Island today despite the fact that the regular ferry service ran to and from the island throughout the day. I would love to know who decided to use the Air Corps and how much it cost compared to the helicopter.
    Perhaps, the AC pilot was getting some valuable experince of landing the AW139 in an unfamiliar area which will be needed if an emergency evacuation was needed on the island. I don't think the islanders would be complaining that a ferry should be used then.
    Boycott the "Irish" Sun rag.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I'll bet those few voters didn't expect to be at the centre of a constitutional crisis - which is where they're headed.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Surely, the polling stations on the islands could have been opened at the same time as on the mainland and the helicopter could have transported the votes to the count centre. A modern helicopter could withstand a lightning strike. Couldn't it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bea C View Post
    Has it closed yet?
    Or is it the same time we have on the mainland?
    Closed. Some Islands might only have a 2 or 3 hour voting window if the numbers are very small and they move on to the next Island. That turnout was the total for the Island - a less than 5% turnout.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I saw this on the news, a very small turnout!!!!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i wouldn't be surprised if this referendum gets the lowest turnout ever, i have to say that i haven't heard a single member of the public talking about it when on my travels each day

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ruserious View Post
    Perhaps, the AC pilot was getting some valuable experince of landing the AW139 in an unfamiliar area which will be needed if an emergency evacuation was needed on the island. I don't think the islanders would be complaining that a ferry should be used then.
    Lets hope the pilot who was on duty today will also be on duty if an emergency ecavuation is required.

I haven's said anything about islanders complaining about anything. The point I am making is that someone responsible for organising the election arranged for a helicopter to be used for transport to the island when a ferry was operating to and from the island, and that decision cost us as taxpayers more money than it should.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast