Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 53

Thread: Sligo setback for anti-abortionists

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member Thady Quill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Living on your western shore
    Posts
    409
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Sligo setback for anti-abortionists

    The Broadcasting Authority of Ireland has censured OceanFM, the North West’s local radio station, over a broadcast of the programme Sunday Spirit on 8th July 2012, finding that the station breached the rules on Fairness, Objectivity & Impartiality.

    What is it all about? Back on 8 July, the morning broadcast consisted of a “discussion” on abortion between a woman from Youth Offence and the presenter.
    The programme theoretically discussed whether abortion law in Ireland needed to be changed but both interviewee, and interviewer were as one in rejecting the idea. No effort was made to put forward any contrary arguments. Alas, not all Western residents are disciples of Dana and a complaint was made to the BAI. OceanFM's initial response was that religious programmes were not bound by the rules on Fairness!

    The BAI were not convinced referring to the presenter as clearly lacking in fairness, objectivity and impartiality.

    A statement regarding the complaint decision will be aired on Sunday, 11th November at the beginning of the programme Sunday Spirit.

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member Hewson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    On the horizon
    Posts
    8,329
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thady Quill View Post
    The Broadcasting Authority of Ireland has censured OceanFM, the North West’s local radio station, over a broadcast of the programme Sunday Spirit on 8th July 2012, finding that the station breached the rules on Fairness, Objectivity & Impartiality.

    What is it all about? Back on 8 July, the morning broadcast consisted of a “discussion” on abortion between a woman from Youth Offence and the presenter.
    The programme theoretically discussed whether abortion law in Ireland needed to be changed but both interviewee, and interviewer were as one in rejecting the idea. No effort was made to put forward any contrary arguments. Alas, not all Western residents are disciples of Dana and a complaint was made to the BAI. OceanFM's initial response was that religious programmes were not bound by the rules on Fairness!

    The BAI were not convinced referring to the presenter as clearly lacking in fairness, objectivity and impartiality.

    A statement regarding the complaint decision will be aired on Sunday, 11th November at the beginning of the programme Sunday Spirit.
    Wow! Mega victory for the pro-abortion lobby.
    Abortion is an act of violence. Violence demeans humanity, particularly violence against women and children.

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    327
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Last edited by reddymix; 8th November 2012 at 08:22 PM.

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member Hewson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    On the horizon
    Posts
    8,329
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by reddymix View Post
    Abortion is killing.
    But as you know from other abortion threads there's 'killing' and there's 'killing.'

    Working out the difference is complicated and entirely subjective.

    And then we have the 'children's rights' issue to be getting on with . . .
    Abortion is an act of violence. Violence demeans humanity, particularly violence against women and children.

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member Thady Quill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Living on your western shore
    Posts
    409
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hewson View Post
    Wow! Mega victory for the pro-abortion lobby.
    > A victory for those who believe in playing by the rules and obeying the law, an alien concept for you lot.
    > No more free rides on radio for the Creeping Jesus brigade, even in the West.
    > Hopefully, the departure of a presenter who once said of Albert Camus, "I believe he had French connections!"
    > Black mark for OceanFM's attempt to retain the local radio franchise

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member Clanrickard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Last outpost of freedom
    Posts
    31,846
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thady Quill View Post
    > A victory for those who believe in playing by the rules and obeying the law, an alien concept for you lot.
    > No more free rides on radio for the Creeping Jesus brigade, even in the West.
    > Hopefully, the departure of a presenter who once said of Albert Camus, "I believe he had French connections!"
    > Black mark for OceanFM's attempt to retain the local radio franchise
    So why did Ray D'arcy get away with a a whole hour of promoting abortion on his show 2 months back? Double standards.

  7. #7

    Default

    Why should it be the BAI decision to decide what should be discussed?

    If people don't like what they are seeing or hearing on TV or radio. Switch off.
    ''The tattoo has a profound meaning: the superficiality of modern man’s existence.'' - Theodore Dalrymple

    "Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple." - Woody Guthrie

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member shoneen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,817
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Clanrickard View Post
    So why did Ray D'arcy get away with a a whole hour of promoting abortion on his show 2 months back? Double standards.
    Ray was "on message" - so that doesn't count. It's only when journalists diverge from the pro-choice group-think that there's a problem.

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member WTTR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Watcher, Paul Henry
    Posts
    5,250
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thady Quill View Post
    > A victory for those who believe in playing by the rules and obeying the law, an alien concept for you lot.
    > No more free rides on radio for the Creeping Jesus brigade, even in the West.
    > Hopefully, the departure of a presenter who once said of Albert Camus, "I believe he had French connections!"
    > Black mark for OceanFM's attempt to retain the local radio franchise
    Good man! I see your now carrying the baton

    The “creeping Jessuses” utterances of a certain powerful politician at a national convention in Killarney spring to mind. How can one take the National Media seriously when you contrast their behaviour in that case and compare it with their full-blown national coverage of the gaffes they think the Cardinal has committed? Are our national media so naïve that they do not know when the truth is uttered? Only few people have the gift of coming across well at public functions or on TV. The Cardinal, a wise man, a Thinker is for the good of society. He should be listened to and what he says should be openly analysed, talked about and people should not be so self-centred as to feel aggrieved. His ‘Reverse Angle counterparts’ among the Islamic World are treated with the height of reverence. The Islamic people are by and large from a poor society and they therefore recognise where real power comes from! Our national media going for the neck of the seemingly defenceless old cleric is pure naked human nature and aggression! Knowledge and propriety are out the window! Why not treat the powerful man in the same way? They are all big boys! Editorial, Mayo Association Yearbook 2002
    No warning can save a people determined to grow suddenly rich. - Lord Overstone.
    Hadn't met any Irish people that were afraid of anything - Christine Lagarde. 2008.

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member Hewson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    On the horizon
    Posts
    8,329
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thady Quill View Post
    > A victory for those who believe in playing by the rules and obeying the law, an alien concept for you lot.
    > No more free rides on radio for the Creeping Jesus brigade, even in the West.
    > Hopefully, the departure of a presenter who once said of Albert Camus, "I believe he had French connections!"
    > Black mark for OceanFM's attempt to retain the local radio franchise
    Even by your own low standards that flow of drivel is poor.

    Come on. Up the standard a bit.
    Abortion is an act of violence. Violence demeans humanity, particularly violence against women and children.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •