Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 40

Thread: Utter hypocrisy of politicians exposed

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member Disillusioned democrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    15,272
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Utter hypocrisy of politicians exposed

    I kid you not - you could not make this up.

    Last night the government and many opposition TDs out gunned a motion proposed by the Technical Group to cap public sector pensions and golden-handshakes, discretionary lump sum top ups etc.

    Then, last night and this morning Shorthaul tells us that it's the private sector pensions are the real problem:

    Risn Shortall calls for 'root and branch' reform of pension tax relief system - RT News and that she wants measures taken so people can't provide for themselves in the future.

    There's none so blind as will not see.....
    The more things change....

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member Spanner Island's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    23,234
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    The majority of those who make up our body politic are insincere, two faced, self serving hypocrites...

    Most of them make me want to puke with their fake empathy and general bullsh!t...

    It's every man and woman for themselves in the rotten Irish 'establishment'.

    Parasites the lot of them.

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member Sync's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    27,457
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Default

    Which part of what she said do you believe is inaccurate? Do you think pensions over 50k should be subsidised? What was Shortalls position on public pension reform that you feel contradicts her belief that private subsidies need to be addressed?

    Do you think for instance that the money being spent to subsidise pensions over 50k would not be better spent encouraging lower earners to start pensions? Is she saying no public reform is required or is she saying this is required as well?

    I'm sure you've thought about all this.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member Disillusioned democrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    15,272
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    I forgot to mention in OP - Gavin Jennings really tore into HoChi Quinn on Morning Ireland this morning on this, who conveniently wasn't "in the country" last night to vote on the motion.

    He (Quinn) certainly wasn't prepared to be questioned on this and made a complete balls of it - hiding, as always, behind nurses and Gardai to justify his €3.5m pot at the end of the road to Pensionville. He twisted and turned and promised that this needed to be looked at in the future, but that now wan't the time...blah, blah....FFS - if NOW, when an 89 year old is loosing her 1 hour care a week isn't the time, when do our pols think WILL be the time.
    The more things change....

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    4,249
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spanner Island View Post
    The majority of those who make up our body politic are insincere, two faced, self serving hypocrites...

    Most of them make me want to puke with their fake empathy and general bullsh!t...

    It's every man and woman for themselves in the rotten Irish 'establishment'.

    Parasites the lot of them.
    'One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors.'

    Plato

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member Disillusioned democrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    15,272
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post
    Which part of what she said do you believe is inaccurate? Do you think pensions over 50k should be subsidised? What was Shortalls position on public pension reform that you feel contradicts her belief that private subsidies need to be addressed?

    Do you think for instance that the money being spent to subsidise pensions over 50k would not be better spent encouraging lower earners to start pensions? Is she saying no public reform is required or is she saying this is required as well?

    I'm sure you've thought about all this.
    I think you're purposefully missing the juxtaposition between our politicians attitude to pensions - they slapped down the technical group's motion to try to put manners on their own pensions and the same day she's out of the populist trans telling is that somehow the "poor" are subsidizing paying the pension funds of the wealthy private sector fat-cats.

    It would give you the impression that these fat cats are somehow accessing public money for their pensions as opposed to the reality, that what is really happening is that people are availing of existing rules that say you can avoid paying tax on money you put into a pension fund - it's kind of different rweall, but highlights politicians attitude that "your" money is really only there for the politicians to redistribute according to populist whims.
    The more things change....

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member Spanner Island's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    23,234
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post
    Which part of what she said do you believe is inaccurate? Do you think pensions over 50k should be subsidised? What was Shortalls position on public pension reform that you feel contradicts her belief that private subsidies need to be addressed?

    Do you think for instance that the money being spent to subsidise pensions over 50k would not be better spent encouraging lower earners to start pensions? Is she saying no public reform is required or is she saying this is required as well?

    I'm sure you've thought about all this.
    They're all spoofing for Ireland... as per bleedin' usual... procrastinating, deflecting, waffling, baffling themselves with bullsh!t etc.

    And all the time the status quo remains largely in tact and they do nothing...

    If our politicians were as good at running the country as they are at talking endless crap Ireland would be the envy of the world...

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member Disillusioned democrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    15,272
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NewDawn1 View Post
    'One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors.'

    Plato
    In Ireland it's not a case of refusing to participate, it's just that the barrier to entry is too great for many people.

    Voting for people with the right policies is participating in politics, but when these people routinely tear up their election promises as soon as they get feet under minister's desk is becomes a farce.

    The typical Irish TD profile says a lot about the only route into politics - many were low level public servants - teachers being one of the biggest contributors - lots of time on their hands and a fall back plan that ensured some poor substitute teacher never got onto the gravy train, or career breaks, etc. that ensured you could always go back.

    For the kind of people I'd like to see running the country this is never going to be an option.
    The more things change....

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member Sync's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    27,457
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Disillusioned democrat View Post
    I think you're purposefully missing the juxtaposition between our politicians attitude to pensions - they slapped down the technical group's motion to try to put manners on their own pensions and the same day she's out of the populist trans telling is that somehow the "poor" are subsidizing paying the pension funds of the wealthy private sector fat-cats.
    When was the last time you saw a govt in any country adopt a financial bill proposed by the opposition? Seriously? Where have you seen such politics operate in a western democracy in the past?

    It would give you the impression that these fat cats are somehow accessing public money for their pensions as opposed to the reality, that what is really happening is that people are availing of existing rules that say you can avoid paying tax on money you put into a pension fund - it's kind of different rweall, but highlights politicians attitude that "your" money is really only there for the politicians to redistribute according to populist whims.
    Populist whims? So you DO think there's something wrong with shortall's proposal. What is it? Do you think the idea of cutting subsidies of pensions over 50k is a bad one? If so, why?
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member controller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    3,175
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post
    When was the last time you saw a govt in any country adopt a financial bill proposed by the opposition? Seriously? Where have you seen such politics operate in a western democracy in the past?Populist whims? So you DO think there's something wrong with shortall's proposal. What is it? Do you think the idea of cutting subsidies of pensions over 50k is a bad one? If so, why?
    Are you deliberately missing the point of the OP??
    Dear Lord Baby Jesus, I want to thank you for Pink Floyd

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •