Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 23 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Marylou calls for TDs' salaries to be reduced to €71,000 on Morning Ireland

Foreign, for my mental as well as material well-being
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Marylou calls for TDs' salaries to be reduced to €71,000 on Morning Ireland

Marylou McDonald, in between lots of stuff about bankers' pay and pensions that I suspect the government is right about when they say they're not able to do anything about it, came up with a figure of €71,000 a year for each TD. I think she said that €92 odd thousand is what they currently get in salaries.

I must say, shill Labour supporter and SF hater though I may be, I think her proposal, while politically very easy to make from the opposition benches, is well worth supporting.

She didn't mention TDs' expenses or pensions in the interview, but I believe SF is calling for all TDs' expenses to be vouched. Again politically easy, but very much worth supporting.

Is it possible that the reason these proposals are as popular as they are with the general public is that they complete no-brainers?

An all round reduction of this scale in TDs' salaries and such a change in the way TDs are compensated for their expenses would certainly hugely enhance the moral authority of the Dαil to make the difficult political decisions that they are required to make.

An excessive reduction it is not (imo, of course).

What should government backbenchers do?
    Last edited by Toland; 8th November 2012 at 11:00 AM.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

SF have been very consistent about saying our politicians are overpaid.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Levellers View Post
    SF have been very consistent about saying our politicians are overpaid.
    Is the figure not new?

The figure seems very reasonable to me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Cut it to the average industrial wage (which was about €35,000 at the height of the "boom"), give them travel and lunch vouchers and instead of paying them for overnight accommodation take one of the NAMA apartment complexes and convert it into a dormitory. The government constantly tell home helps and others that their income must be cut, that cuts in health and other services are justified because the economy is in dire straits. They should practice what they preach. If they want the ordinary people to wear sackcloth to save the banks then they should first don the sackcloth themselves.
    "The rich always betray the poor"- Henry Joy McCracken

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Podolski1.5 View Post
    Cut it to the average industrial wage (which was about €35,000 at the height of the "boom"), give them travel and lunch vouchers and instead of paying them for overnight accommodation take one of the NAMA apartment complexes and convert it into a dormitory. The government constantly tell home helps and others that their income must be cut, that cuts in health and other services are justified because the economy is in dire straits. They should practice what they preach. If they want the ordinary people to wear sackcloth to save the banks then they should first don the sackcloth themselves.
    To be quite honest, I can understand your feelings but, apart from being politically unrealistic, I think your proposal (in the unlikely event it's really serious) is a little OTT.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

71k and a travel pass that the OAP's get.

Pension linked to the average industrial wage.

Not a penny more.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Of course the backbenchers should lead by example but the reality is that they won't.

A cynic might suggest that Mary Lou is putting this proposal forward in the full knowledge that it won't be adopted but it will get some publicity and a few votes for SF.
    “Still paying, still to owe. Eternal woe! ” ― Paradise Lost, John Milton

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Toland View Post
    Marylou McDonald, in between lots of stuff about bankers' pay and pensions that I suspect the government is right about when they say they're not able to do anything about it, came up with a figure of €71,000 a year for each TD. I think she said that €92 odd thousand is what they currently get in salaries.

I must say, shill Labour supporter and SF hater though I may be, I think her proposal, while politically very easy to make from the opposition benches, is well worth supporting.

She didn't mention TDs' expenses or pensions in the interview, but I believe SF is calling for all TDs' expenses to be vouched. Again politically easy, but very much worth supporting.

Is it possible that the reason these proposals are as popular as they are with the general public is that they complete no-brainers?

An all round reduction of this scale in TDs' salaries and such a change in the way TDs are compensated for their expenses would certainly hugely enhance the moral authority of the Dαil to make the difficult political decisions that they are required to make.

An excessive reduction it is not (imo, of course).

What should government backbenchers do?
    There will be no rush in support from the back benches of FF/FG and Labour. Seemingly most TDs are up to their necks in mortgages/ loans that they received easily during the so called celtic tiger.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Howya View Post
    Of course the backbenchers should lead by example but the reality is that they won't.

A cynic might suggest that Mary Lou is putting this proposal forward in the full knowledge that it won't be adopted but it will get some publicity and a few votes for SF.
    Much as I would like to agree with him, my guess is that the cynic would be wrong.

And believe me, I'm no fan of Sinn Fιin tomfoolery in other areas (see my current avatar for details).

Quote Originally Posted by Toland View Post
    Marylou McDonald, in between lots of stuff about bankers' pay and pensions that I suspect the government is right about when they say they're not able to do anything about it, came up with a figure of €71,000 a year for each TD.

Fine Gael and Enda Kenny, the government defined by all the stuff they couldn't do any thing about.

Page 1 of 23 1234511 ... LastLast