Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: An eminently fair adjudication by the Parades Commission

Johnny Boy

Default An eminently fair adjudication by the Parades Commission

BBC News - Parades Commission ruling on Remembrance Day march past Belfast flashpoint

The Parades Commission has placed restrictions on a march due to pass a parade flashpoint in north Belfast on Saturday.

The march has been organised by the Apprentice Boys of Derry to mark Remembrance Day.
    The commission has ruled that only hymn tunes must be played as the bands pass St Patrick's church in Donegall St.

Well done to the Parades Commission for imposing sensible conditions that everybody taking part in the parade should have no problem adhering to.
    What could possibly be wrong with insisting that bands participating in a parade, organised by a self-defined religious body, should be restricted to playing religious hymns going past a church?
    The response from some of the "friskier" participants, e.g. YCV types, will be interesting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Boy View Post
    BBC News - Parades Commission ruling on Remembrance Day march past Belfast flashpoint

Well done to the Parades Commission for imposing sensible conditions that everybody taking part in the parade should have no problem adhering to.
    What could possibly be wrong with insisting that bands participating in a parade, organised by a self-defined religious body, should be restricted to playing religious hymns going past a church?
    The response from some of the "friskier" participants, e.g. YCV types, will be interesting.
    There are stories about nothing...
    Stories about absolutely nothing...
    And this.

Ye gads,if this is the extent of nat/rep 'fishing',you need to change the bait !!
    Even with the usual caveats attached to opinion polls, a 65% to 17% majority for Northern Ireland remaining in the UK suggests little room for doubt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Some of us of a more secular hue find the playing of hymns more offensive than some upbeat ditty containing words we do not know and could care less about. Let's face it, Sloop John B is a great tune regardless of the bastardisation of the lyrics by some neanderthal. certainly preferable to Abide with me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well, I'm offended by this, how dare the Apprentice Boys forsake Derry on Remembrance Day??

Seriously though, why the need to go all the way to North Belfast where there's no major cenotaph for a march?

I doubt that the Boys will be as childish as the Young Blacks were on this issue.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RedCloud View Post
    There are stories about nothing...
    Stories about absolutely nothing...
    And this.

Ye gads,if this is the extent of nat/rep 'fishing',you need to change the bait !!
    This was a non story until loyalists showed their true colours in July and August, heinzey.

Castle Ray

A non-story again for rabid nationalists to get worked up over all over again.

Tbh, I'm starting to think these parades are great for amusing the simpletons in our society.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Castle Ray View Post

Tbh, I'm starting to think these parades are great for amusing the simpletons in our society.
    Well You are posting on this thread, you have a point.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Looks like the orders really are looking to keep on digging.

Best thing to ignore them and insist the PC and PPS do their job if/when they breach determinations. They Belfast guys seem hell bent on not just confronting the rest of society but disgracing their fellow members elsewhere. Look at the welcome rural lodges got by loyalists in east Belfast
    Ya wouldn't want to have seen t happening but if Eammon Mc Cann and Bernie Devlin conceived a child, ideologically, it would be me

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

[QUOTE=Castle Ray;5995717]A non-story again for rabid nationalists to get worked up over all over again.

Tbh, I'm starting to think these parades are great for amusing the simpletons in our society.[/QUOT

I'm sure he'll be along soon.
    Ya wouldn't want to have seen t happening but if Eammon Mc Cann and Bernie Devlin conceived a child, ideologically, it would be me

Johnny Boy

Quote Originally Posted by Castle Ray View Post

Oh, it's a bit harsh to judge all parading loyalists as simpletons. I think the PC have got this right though. Do you agree?

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast