Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 33

Thread: Fleadh Cheoil na hÉireann 2013, will you be going?

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member Easilydistracted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Derry
    Posts
    599
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Fleadh Cheoil na hÉireann 2013, will you be going?

    Well after all the controversy during Derry's bid for the All Ireland Fleadh, i was just wondering if it has had an adverse affect on Fleadh Goers.

    BBC News - Dissident bombs blamed for collapse of Derry fleadh 2013 bid

    BBC News - Appeal by Derry Comhaltas over Fleadh decision

    If you're a regular attendee, will you be coming next year? do you think derry is a good setting for a fleadh?

    If you wouldnt normally go to Fleadhanna, will you be tempted to come this year to see the All Ireland Fleadh's long overdue journey across the border?

    Personally i think its going to be a fantastic Fleadh in a fantastic location and can now truly own the title, Fleadh Cheoil na hÉireann.

    as an aside, has anybody seen this boy knocking about

    Rory O'Doherty Photography. | FLEADH 2013 (Fleadh bus in Dublin) | Photo 1

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    13,715
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Put me down for a seat.

    This is what being Irish is about.

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Innsmouth
    Posts
    245
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Levellers View Post
    Put me down for a seat.

    This is what being Irish is about.
    Celebrating your Irish culture as a sub-culture of a greater British one?

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    4,094
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Moogie View Post
    Celebrating your Irish culture as a sub-culture of a greater British one?
    Except Britain has not comparable culture. In fact, Britain in itself, is devoid of all culture. No music, no dance, no sports, even the English language is no longer its own.

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    9,448
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Moogie View Post
    Celebrating your Irish culture as a sub-culture of a greater British one?
    So this event can never be held in the 6C because that makes it British?

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member Campion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    596
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by purpledon View Post
    Except Britain has not comparable culture. In fact, Britain in itself, is devoid of all culture. No music, no dance, no sports, even the English language is no longer its own.
    What about chicken tikka masala and goat vindaloo? Aren't they British?

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    4,094
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MariaMcN View Post
    So this event can never be held in the 6C because that makes it British?
    Well it does seem that way. If this is the attitude that is going to be taken by some (claiming Irish culture as British) maybe it will make the organizers of the Fleadh and other big Irish cultural events think twice before they award anything to any town in NI again.

    300,000 thousand people are expected to attend with a possible spend of £30 - £40 million in the city of Derry and its surround. Next time, and forever more, hold the Fleadh and all Irish cultural events in the Rep to prevent them from becoming political footballs by the likes of Moggie.

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    4,094
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Campion View Post
    What about chicken tikka masala and goat vindaloo? Aren't they British?
    Only if you are so devoid of anything better.

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member former wesleyan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    25,468
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Campion View Post
    What about chicken tikka masala and goat vindaloo? Aren't they British?
    Chicken tikka masala is. Completely British. I've always thought that airbrushing the Irish in the British Army out of history has led to the situation whereby you could never get a decent curry in Ireland till lately.
    "What Michael Collins accepted in '22,De Valera accepted in'27 and Gerry Adams accepted in '98.Sooner or later they all come around to accepting the Treaty"

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    4,094
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by former wesleyan View Post
    Chicken tikka masala is. Completely British. I've always thought that airbrushing the Irish in the British Army out of history has led to the situation whereby you could never get a decent curry in Ireland till lately.
    If you think that then you have obviously never eaten a real Indian meal...........................in India.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •