Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Error Rate Aka Unnacounted Money In EU Budget Is On The Rise

Default Error Rate Aka Unnacounted Money In EU Budget Is On The Rise

The European Court of Auditors just confirmed that the waste of funds in the EU Budget continues to rise. The EU is not in the best position to criticize the Irish government if they can't even get a clean bill of health from the ECA.

Where does all the money go? 44bn went straight into agricultural subsidize, 1.3bn of that money just disappeared into thin air. They have no clue where the money went. The Regional Policy department that manages things such as the European Regional Development Fund lost €billions in 2011 so did the Energy with €2bn. Maritime Affairs and Fisheries€0.6bn. Research has no records of lost €318m.

I mean seriously WTF? This is taxpayer money, where does it go?
    Last edited by YouKnowWhatIMeanLike; 6th November 2012 at 06:21 PM.

Politics.ie Member stopdoingstuff's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's normal. The standard excuse is that since the money goes to national governments, it is not an EU problem at all. My point would be that if the people who distribute it cannot be sure that it is being spent correctly, then why distribute it at all? And why does money have to go to Brussels before being sent elsewhere for misappropriation, when clearly national governments can misappropriate money perfectly competently?
    I wouldn't worry too much about that auditors' report though- they never produce any actual results, and any auditor who dares do his job in Brussels is sacked and dragged through the mud. It's an insiders town, rotten and corrupt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

EUobserver.com / Economic Affairs / Report: Rampant corruption is aggravating EU crisis
    He accused the EU of "neglect" on Portugal, noting that even the so-called troika inspectors who govern its EU-International-Monetary-Fund bail-out, did not mention corruption in their official memos.

TI also slammed the EU institutions on their home turf in Brussels.

It pointed out that the European Commission and the EU Council preach transparency, but at the same time they are trying to push through a new regulation to make public access to internal EU documents even harder.

Meanwhile, in the European Parliament, MEPs are required to claim trips financed by lobbyists only if hotels costs surpass €300 a night or if they are flown business class.

"This is ridiculous," Dutch left-wing MEP, Dennis de Jong, said on the parliament hospitality rules.

"They [EU institutions] don't have [proper] standards in place," TI's De Swardt told EUobserver.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

http://http://abcnews.go.com/Interna...6#.UJk9PsUxq00

The place is obviously a cesspool.

Dalli on Wednesday acknowledged meeting with a young female lawyer in January during the impromptu meetings he often has within the small political world of Malta, population 410,000. Some think she might have been a tobacco lobbyist seeking favor.

"She was simply gathering information about what is the position of snus," Dalli said. "She did not come to me as a lobbyist, she was asking questions."

Dalli also tried to argue he was far from the only EU commissioner talking to the tobacco industry.

"Many services have been informing me of an onslaught" of tobacco lobbyists, Dalli said. "They have been lobbying all the commission and they have been meeting all the commissioners."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Why the EU is corrupt

Committee on Budgetary Control
    Wed, 30 May 2012 15:00 - 18:30

• 18.0 (CONT/7/06136) Hearing on "the Future Role of the European Court of Auditors: Challenges ahead and possible reform"

Where have the unaccounted billions gone? - Marta Andreasen
    European Parliament, Brussels, 10 November 2011
    We're screwed - understand the FACTS here

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stopdoingstuff View Post
    has been for years ..... a big behemoth of an organisation that is corrupt to the core ...

Any organisation that books a train so once a week the european taxpayers can fund a jolly from brussels to strasbourg at a cost of 200 million per year ... or any organisation that turns a blind eye to the openly corrupt practice (theft) of signing in for fridays allowances before catching an early plane or any organisation that encourages nepotism with huge (disgustingly large) allowances not just for the MEPs but for various appointed cronies too .Any organisatiuon that becomes an overpaid retirement plan for politicians rejected by their own electorate and given positions of vast power yet zero accountability ...ah FFS ,the list is endless ........

but you get the picture ............ that sort of organisation is past its usefulness, we should leave ASAP
    Is there any Incompetence Scandal or Corruption that would actually make the Irish electorate wake up ....It seems not, so screw em

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

And given that our very own Kevin Cardiff (the guy who couldn't balance our own books) now works at the EU court of auditors, I'm struggling to see how the situation of budgetary control is going to get any better
    ôStill paying, still to owe. Eternal woe! ö ― Paradise Lost, John Milton

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Elaine Byrne will surely sort this out now. Isn't she special advisor to the EU on corruption or some such?

Error Rate
    Aka Unnacounted
    I have no money, but I love my life.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Howya View Post
    And given that our very own Kevin Cardiff (the guy who couldn't balance our own books) now works at the EU court of auditors, I'm struggling to see how the situation of budgetary control is going to get any better
    Perhaps he's showing his new colleagues that if you f˙ck up in your role, you will get a nice promotion. Although, the reason he ended up over there wasn't solely a promotion.... it was to keep him well away from the media over here too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast