Follow @PoliticsIE

Thread: One to One on RTE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default One to One on RTE

One to One - RTÉ Player

I just watched Brian Dobbs interview of Fianna Fail cabinet minister Dr. Martin O'Donoghue. I'm afraid he was a good bit before my time so not sure what to make of him, although he is Fianna Fail and sure I have never been a Fianna Fail fan to say the least. I thought he did well with his agressive answering against Dobbs sometimes accustionary style. Although when Dobbs was asking a question or making a statement O'Donoghue did alot of 'yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah....' which was kind of annoying.

What did you all think of it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

He along with Seamus Brennan came up with infamous 1977 manifesto that destroyed the country. Like all FFers he wont accept blame.

simeongrimes

His economic idea was to employ thousands of public servants as a way of kick-starting the economy while abolishing car-tax and domestic rates.

When it all came crashing down we swore we would never be fooled like that again.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Charlie McCreevy of his day.Never saw beyond the next election, no matter what the price to the country.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Didn't see it but I remember O'Donoghue well. He was a PD years before the PDs came into being. He would be in his element today yielding the knife to public services and cutting back on social welfare.
    "The rich always betray the poor"- Henry Joy McCracken

MrFunkyBoogaloo

I didn't think much of the man.

Except to say that with people like him coasting the corridors of power - right up until 2008 - it's no wonder the country is banjaxed. Gobsh!te.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

cute hoor,ull of self importance and he is not in financial difficulty

Quote Originally Posted by simeongrimes View Post
    His economic idea was to employ thousands of public servants as a way of kick-starting the economy while abolishing car-tax and domestic rates.

When it all came crashing down we swore we would never be fooled like that again.
    And now we have a lot of people on here talking out of both sides of their mouth, they criticise this (and rightly so) while at the same time calling for more government spending by way of "stimulus"!
    "If we can but prevent the government from wasting the labours of the people, under the pretence of taking care of them, they must become happy." - Thomas Jefferson

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cricket View Post
    The Charlie McCreevy of his day.Never saw beyond the next election, no matter what the price to the country.
    Only saw the first few minutes so can't comment. However met the man about 25 years ago and I found him thoughtful and intelligent with no trace of arrogance. We discussed the 1977 election and it's impact thereafter on the economy and while he defended his policy he also acknowledged errors. I did not get the idea he was political and thinking of elections, rather he believed that the policy was the correct one. I would not agree with his politics but I have to say I found him far more intelligent, reasonable and with a mind of his own than many politicians I met.