Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Government are providing huge tax reliefs for Divorce (4980 extra for 2 parents on 50K each)

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default The Government are providing huge tax reliefs for Divorce (4980 extra for 2 parents on 50K each)

The tax system is providing additional incentives to parents who either don't marry and live apart, or who choose to divorce and live apart.

Two principal benefits arise:

(1) an additional single parent tax relief of €1650 each per year payable to each parent.
    (2) Single parents are also subject to a higher threshold for the standard tax rate which is €36,800 as opposed to €32,800 for single people.

Provided that both parents have their children residing with them for some part of the year they can claim these reliefs.

One-parent family tax credits and reliefs

It is grossly unjust that parents who marry or who remain married should have to pay substantially more tax than unmarried or divorced parents.

http://taxcalc.eu/
    Last edited by potholedogger; 5th November 2012 at 04:55 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This is one tax break that all "single parents" know about. Will this be corrected in the up coming children's referendum, if the state wants the same rights for children wherther their from a single/ co habitation or married parents?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Didn't Labour have a big problem with this?

I wonder what happened?

potholedogger (I'm assuming that's a typo by the way, and you aren't engaging in some bizarre s*x acts with holes in the roads), I presume you are aware that where people are not married but they live together, they are entitled to none of the tax reliefs that married couples get, while at the same time often being disqualified from social welfare benefits available to people living alone.

Also, non-married partners cannot transfer tax credits, in a manner married people can.

The joint assessment (or "aggregation") option is usually the most favourable basis of assessment for a married couple or civil partners. This option is automatically given by the tax office when you advise them of your marriage or civil partnership but this does not prevent you from choosing any of the options examined earlier. Under this option, the tax credits and standard rate cut-off point can be allocated between spouses to suit their own circumstances.

If only one spouse/civil partner has taxable income, all tax credits and the standard rate cut-off point will be given to the spouse/civil partner with the income.

If both of you have taxable income, you can decide which of you is to be the assessable spouse/nominated civil partner. You then ask the tax office to allocate the tax credits and standard rate cut-off point between you in whatever way you wish. (The PAYE tax credit, employment expenses and the increase in standard rate cut-off point of 23,800 in 2012 are not transferable).
    Taxation of married people and civil partners
    I have no money, but I love my life.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Article 41 3. 1 The State pledges itself to guard with special care the institution of Marriage, on which the Family is founded, and to protect it against attack

The State does not seem to be Guarding the Institution of Marriage!

Quote Originally Posted by potholedogger View Post
    Article 41 3. 1 The State pledges itself to guard with special care the institution of Marriage, on which the Family is founded, and to protect it against attack

The State does not seem to be Guarding the Institution of Marriage!
    You think people will divorce so they can avail of a tax credit of under 5k pa?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ShoutingIsLeadership View Post
    You think people will divorce so they can avail of a tax credit of under 5k pa?

It is a question of discrimination against parents who choose to marry, or remain married as opposed to parentd who avoid marriage or who get divorced.

Politics.ie Member Spanner Island's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Do you go dogging in potholes or are you forced to dodge potholes regularly?

It is a question of discrimination against parents who choose to marry, or remain married as opposed to parentd who avoid marriage or who get divorced.
    I refer you to post number 4, above.

http://www.politics.ie/forum/economy...ml#post5985086

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I suggest you take a constitutional case then.....

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast