Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The quality of meals in State run hospitals?

Dylan2010

Default The quality of meals in State run hospitals?

Over the last few months I have had a couple of ealderly relatives in an out of some smaller hospitals and a major one in Dublin. My conclusion is that the quality of the food offered is very poor which is a real pity as because as far as I'm concerned its part of the treatment and recovery of the patient. On the other hand the food in Vincent's private was very good and Vincent's semi private was "ok".
    Speaking to other people I got examples thrown back at me like a diabetic person not being able to get food at particular times which is important for them to regulate, a heart patient being given cheap fried food. Other things I noticed were meals being put in front of patients that needed help to eat and instead the food was taken away later or only eating it as a relative happened to be there at the time to help.

Is it too much to ask? do patients need to start ordering meals on wheels?

IT article ealier in the year on the same subject

Making a meal of health - The Irish Times - Tue, Jul 24, 2012

There is increasing awareness that patients’ diets can speed or slow their recovery but the concept is not new. Nearly 2,500 years ago Hippocrates, one of the founders of western medicine, said: “Let food by thy medicine and medicine by thy food.” Malnourished patients can suffer from decreased appetite, reduced cardiac output, slower healing of wounds and higher rates of mortality, so there is good reason to examine the meals served in Irish hospitals.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dylan2010 View Post
    Over the last few months I have had a couple of ealderly relatives in an out of some smaller hospitals and a major one in Dublin. My conclusion is that the quality of the food offered is very poor which is a real pity as because as far as I'm concerned its part of the treatment and recovery of the patient. On the oher hand the food in Vincent's private was very good and Vincent's semi private was "ok".
    Speaking to other people I got example thrown back at me like a diabetic person not being able to get food at particular times which is important for them to regulate, a heart patient being given cheap fried food. Other things I noticed were meals being put in front of patients that needed help to eat and instead the food was taken away later or only eating it as a relative happened to be there at the time to help.

I remeber my stint in james's as a paitent was their for 6 months . the things i remember were rehydrated powdered mince , a rubber omlete that you could use as a frisbee , some sort of stew that nobody could eat , soggy cornflakes , however every second friday the veg curry was good ( used to love that) . My parents used to bring me in dinner as it was the only food i was getting .

I remember a old person who couldn't eat "hard food" so was given ommletes every night for a month until a relitive gave out about it .

They arent kidding about hospital food being bad although this experince wasnt recent about 10 years ago.
    Support the NVNG Movement

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dylan2010 View Post
    Over the last few months I have had a couple of ealderly relatives in an out of some smaller hospitals and a major one in Dublin. My conclusion is that the quality of the food offered is very poor which is a real pity as because as far as I'm concerned its part of the treatment and recovery of the patient. On the other hand the food in Vincent's private was very good and Vincent's semi private was "ok".
    Speaking to other people I got examples thrown back at me like a diabetic person not being able to get food at particular times which is important for them to regulate, a heart patient being given cheap fried food. Other things I noticed were meals being put in front of patients that needed help to eat and instead the food was taken away later or only eating it as a relative happened to be there at the time to help.

How much do hospital meals cost each including cooking and serving?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by potholedogger View Post
    No idea of the cost however they are not cooked on the premises they are brought in and reheated there by the serving staff and brought to the wards.

Dylan2010

Quote Originally Posted by potholedogger View Post

from the article

However, the Irish Examiner recently reported that catering budgets have been cut by 20 per cent from €30.5m in 2008 to €24m last year and that meals in 33 of the 45 hospitals that provided figures cost less than €3.90 each. Some Irish hospitals are spending as little as €2 on meals for patients.

Waterford Regional Hospital served the cheapest hospital food in the country last year, spending €2.03 per meal on average.

Somewhere up in the Wicklow mountains digging an even deeper nuclear shelter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cytex View Post
    No idea of the cost however they are not cooked on the premises they are brought in and reheated there by the serving staff and brought to the wards.
    Are you sure about that? Most hospitals have their own kitchens. I know for definite that NAAS does and a friend works as a hospital chef elsewhere.
    If you continue to elect idiots in elections, don't be surprised when the result is an idiotic government.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aindriu View Post
    Are you sure about that? Most hospitals have their own kitchens. I know for definite that NAAS does and a friend works as a hospital chef elsewhere.
    As i said my experince from this is ten years ago but yes that was the way it was done in james's . I got to talking with the ladys that were bringing the dinner.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have been in and out of the Mid Western Regional Hospital 10 times this year, some times for around 3 days at a time & some times for over 5 days at a time.

The food is horrendous, always has been. Every 2nd day the veg is turnip! the chef does his best to make it attractive by cooking it in several ways but it is still disgusting!

On my last visit, which lasted 9 days, there was a choice for the main course 1. Stew ( every single day ) or 2. fish/chicken/beef on different days of course. None of the fish/chicken/beef remotely resembled what it purported to be. All so dry it made boot leather attractive. I specifically asked why Stew was on the menu every single day, I was told it was because there were patients who could not eat solid foods. The Stew was disgusting!

All the potato`s were mashed, as was the turnip at times, the only green veg that I saw were some very dubious peas. The carrots were about the only part of the meal that could be tasted! Carrots were about every 4th day.

A lot of the patients were recieving food parcels from relatives or having fast food brought in. The choice being left up to Hobson as to the benefit of the food range. Take it or leave it!

I have by the way spent from 5 hours to 39 hours on a hospital trolly at different times, even after being brought to the hospital in an ambulance in a collapsed state.
    Last edited by Tawdy; 5th November 2012 at 05:38 PM.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

the old adage was, so perhaps still is one is in the hospital as one is sick, when one is sick they do not require food.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Oh ye have brought back bad memories, the food was/is so bad in Tallaght that during my last two chemo sessions that I insisted on being fed via my central line, I mean how difficult is it to boil cabbage?

Dominos in Tallaght was very very busy with both staff and patients...

This year I was readmitted with pneumonia, it hasnt changed......terrible shyte.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast