Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Why are middle class people in the Labour Party ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Why are middle class people in the Labour Party ?

Wondering the above as I'm sure their are no shortage of teachers, solicitors etc in the Labour Party than actual working class people such as bricklayers, lorry drivers etc So why ? Ok they may have a few token working class people in it, especially to do the postering, leafletting and so on. But is it that they join in their student days to be somehow 'radical ' by cosy middle class standards and cut out a niche for themselves and hence stick with the devil they know ? Surely FG or FF would more in line and indeed more profitable with their pro status quo values ?
    Follow the money in this country and it ALWAYS goes back to state support, be it tax breaks, state contracts and the manipulation of markets for the gombeen class.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

That gun in your avatar?

It's still pointing the wrong way!
    Heaven and Earth Meet in the Human Heart!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Radix View Post
    That gun in your avatar?

It's still pointing the wrong way!
    Wannabe funny guy ....... ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
    Follow the money in this country and it ALWAYS goes back to state support, be it tax breaks, state contracts and the manipulation of markets for the gombeen class.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PO'Neill View Post
    Wondering the above as I'm sure their are no shortage of teachers, solicitors etc in the Labour Party than actual working class people such as bricklayers, lorry drivers etc So why ? Ok they may have a few token working class people in it, especially to do the postering, leafletting and so on. But is it that they join in their student days to be somehow 'radical ' by cosy middle class standards and cut out a niche for themselves and hence stick with the devil they know ? Surely FG or FF would more in line and indeed more profitable with their pro status quo values ?
    Cross that they don't join SF like the middle class Ruane and Mary Lou ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cruimh View Post
    Cross that they don't join SF like the middle class Ruane and Mary Lou ?
    you should see the location and design of the dwelling houses of the high profile SF politicians in Kerry..........hardly mingling with the working class, not even the middle class!

Quote Originally Posted by SeanieFitz View Post
    you should see the location and design of the dwelling houses of the high profile SF politicians in Kerry..........hardly mingling with the working class, not even the middle class!
    There's money in gun-running
    I have no money, but I love my life.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

How many brickies, etc are there in the SWP and the Profit Before People Alliance?

Those parties are almost exclusively stocked with rich-kid revolutionaries from posh schools, led of course by Richard Boyd Barrett, an alumnus of St. Michaels College (other alumni include notable working class heroes Ruairi Quinn and Eoghan Murphy)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Political affiliation isn't necessarily driven by self interest, and even if it were, centre-left politics is generally quite beneficial to those on middle incomes. Aside from which, even aside from whether middle-income individuals would be better off or not, it's a pretty rational perspective that someone might be willing to pay more in tax to achieve, for example, universal healthcare or childcare or higher standards of education etc.

It can't be the case, for example, that the only people in Sweden or Norway who support their model of taxation and public services are 'working class' in the fairly narrow definition of the OP. In a healthy democracy, people should be able to choose a politicial affiliation that matches the broad direction of travel they aspire to for the country, not just on the raw question of whether they, themselves, will end up paying more.

Foreign, for my mental as well as material well-being
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PO'Neill View Post
    ITo be working class these days you don't have to be be a cooper in Guinnesses, complete with cloth cap and apron.

I'm a translator who scrapes by to pay the modest mortgage. I consider myself a grafter who never got anything for nothing. I broadly support the Labour Party.

I'm not untypical.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Unions, public sector and Labour Party are tied.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast