Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 96

Thread: Is this a responsible act on Immigration by the Swiss?

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    11,409
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Is this a responsible act on Immigration by the Swiss?

    A group of Swiss environmentalists has collected enough signatures to force a national referendum on immigration. The grouping has collected a petition with 120,700 certified signatures to force a referendum on immigration control. Is this a responsible act by Swiss citizens or will it lead to more anti-immigrant attacks etc.?

    BBC News - Swiss Ecopop group forces immigration referendum

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member greengoose2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Planet Enda, Tír na nÓg
    Posts
    25,433
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by realistic1 View Post
    A group of Swiss environmentalists has collected enough signatures to force a national referendum on immigration. The grouping has collected a petition with 120,700 certified signatures to force a referendum on immigration control. Is this a responsible act by Swiss citizens or will it lead to more anti-immigrant attacks etc.?

    BBC News - Swiss Ecopop group forces immigration referendum
    Lets get our own scruffy house in order before we comment on others.

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member RobertW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    20,477
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    For the purposes of this article I suspect that "immigrants" also refer to EU citizens.

    Perhaps the EU could impose quotas on Swiss citizens entering the EU in retaliation.

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member Hewson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    On the horizon
    Posts
    8,329
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by realistic1 View Post
    A group of Swiss environmentalists has collected enough signatures to force a national referendum on immigration. The grouping has collected a petition with 120,700 certified signatures to force a referendum on immigration control. Is this a responsible act by Swiss citizens or will it lead to more anti-immigrant attacks etc.?

    BBC News - Swiss Ecopop group forces immigration referendum
    Why anybody would want to emigrate to the most boring country on the planet is beyond me.

    Switzerland for the Swiss!

    And they're more than welcome to it.
    Abortion is an act of violence. Violence demeans humanity, particularly violence against women and children.

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member Twin Towers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,874
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Would that Irish citizens could collect signatures to call referenda. We are only fooling ourselves if we think we are living in some kind of democracy here.

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member greengoose2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Planet Enda, Tír na nÓg
    Posts
    25,433
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Twin Towers View Post
    Would that Irish citizens could collect signatures to call referenda. We are only fooling ourselves if we think we are living in some kind of democracy here.

    Maybe so but - we are not living in the most boring country in the world!

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    11,409
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RobertW View Post
    For the purposes of this article I suspect that "immigrants" also refer to EU citizens.

    Perhaps the EU could impose quotas on Swiss citizens entering the EU in retaliation.
    Looking at the amount of support this petition had, I dont think it would bother the Swiss if such a quota was introduced.

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member Mountaintop's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Caught between the moon and New York City
    Posts
    1,256
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Twin Towers View Post
    Would that Irish citizens could collect signatures to call referenda. We are only fooling ourselves if we think we are living in some kind of democracy here.
    My weekends are precious!!...If this place is representative.....I wouldn't fancy spending every Saturday remaining in my lifetime voting in referenda, alternating between abortion and reunification.

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member TheMushyStuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    The People's Republic of Cork
    Posts
    2,528
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Well it seems sensible to limit immigration for the time being.
    We should do that here.
    “When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser.” - Socrates

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member Victor Meldrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Clubbed into insensibility
    Posts
    7,163
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hewson View Post
    Why anybody would want to emigrate to the most boring country on the planet is beyond me.

    Switzerland for the Swiss! And they're more than welcome to it.
    If by boring you mean, clean, well run, safe, wealthy, well educated....


    Then I'll take my chances. Beside, France, Germany and Italy are beside you when you get bored....

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •