Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 172 123451151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Frank Feighan to wear a poppy in the Dail?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Frank Feighan to wear a poppy in the Dail?

Fine Gael T.D. Frank Feighan says he plans to wear the poppy in the Dail on Tuesday? Will he be allowed is the poppy a charity or a political symbol? In my opinion he should be as its a charity even if some "Republicans" dislike it. We should remember all Irish men who fought and died in World Wars regardless if we agree or not. I for one salute the courage of Deputy Feighan, he will no doubt come under attack from the usual bigots.

The poppy for many is a symbol of charity and a symbol of Remembrance, unlike the Easter lilly which is a fundraising stunt by SF/IRA and is viewed more as a symbol of the PIRA and its brutality than a symbol of the bravery of the men of 1916. I hope more members of the Dail can display the courage of Deputy Feighan.

Irish TD will wear poppy to commemorate the British war dead | Irish News and Politics spanning the US, Ireland and the World | IrishCentral

Politics.ie Member former wesleyan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Poppy last worn in the Daíl by Paddy Harte, Emmet Stagg and Brian Hayes in 1996.
    "What Michael Collins accepted in '22,De Valera accepted in'27 and Gerry Adams accepted in '98.Sooner or later they all come around to accepting the Treaty"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by former wesleyan View Post
    Poppy last worn in the Daíl by Paddy Harte, Emmet Stagg and Brian Hayes in 1996.
    Why didnt they continue to wear it after 96?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

People should be entitled to wear the poppy or the easter lily if they wish. I would defend and have defended the right of people to wear either in the Houses of the Oireachtas.

Politics.ie Member stopdoingstuff's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Do you ever think that we will get to that degree of maturity where we will no longer care about such things?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TommyO'Brien View Post
    People should be entitled to wear the poppy or the easter lily if they wish. I would defend and have defended the right of people to wear either in the Houses of the Oireachtas.
    I couldnt agree more, the bigotry shown towards people who wear the poppy in this country is shocking.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's a postive step. TDs should be able to wear either the Easter lilly and Poppy (or both, in fact) without getting any hassle.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stopdoingstuff View Post
    Do you ever think that we will get to that degree of maturity where we will no longer care about such things?
    We should have. Parliaments are traditional neutral working environments so party logos etc are not meant to displayed around the place. But the rules do allow a small number of symbols such as the poppy and the easter lily to be worn. It really should be a non-story. Once an item does not carry a party political identification they should be all that matters. I had relatives who fought in the War of Independence and relatives who fought in the First World War (and one who fought in both). I personally would be comfortable with wearing either a lily or a poppy depending on the anniversary.

In fact I have worn both. I was given an easter lily some years ago by a friend in SF and wore it, and have worn poppies to the Remembrance Day ceremonies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by diy01 View Post
    It's a postive step. TDs should be able to wear either the Easter lilly and Poppy (or both, in fact) without getting any hassle.
    Its very sad that many of those who wear the poppy will encounter hassle from bigots calling themselves "Republicans".

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Why should it matter if he wears a poppy or not? Many Irish people died in the first and second world wars since we don't have our own commemorative flower for them I see nothing wrong with the poppy.

Page 1 of 172 123451151101 ... LastLast