Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Irish Abortion/Social Policy Compared to Afghanistan and Iran on Al Jazeera

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Irish Abortion/Social Policy Compared to Afghanistan and Iran on Al Jazeera

World-respected news outlet Al Jazeera has done a piece on Irish abortion laws, comparing us to Afghanistan and Iran. I have never been so profoundly embarrassed to be Irish.

Money woes limit Irish abortion options - Europe - Al Jazeera English

Many countries are condemned in the West for organised religion and its effect on peoples lives. Societies throw their arms up in horror if countries like Iran or Afghanistan deny women basic rights. They tend, however, not to mention Ireland.

In Ireland, a woman cannot have an abortion if she has been raped. She cannot have an abortion if the man who made her pregnant is beating her. She cannot have an abortion if the baby will die outside her body.
    You really need to look at the video in the article for the full report. I post this as a separate thread purely to give us some worldwide perspective.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

There's nothing shameful or embarrassing about Irish abortion laws. It seems to me that Al Jazeera are just trying, and failing, to suggest that Ireland is in some way comparable to countries that do actually restrict the freedoms of women.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The need for abortion in Afgan and Iran is much reduced due to their laws which have 'adultrous' women stoned to death or otherwise executed
    And they claim the high moral ground ... yeah right ...

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MariaMcN View Post
    There's nothing shameful or embarrassing about Irish abortion laws.
    An outright ban even in the case of rape or in which the health of the mother is at risk is shameful or embarrassing.

Quote Originally Posted by MariaMcN View Post
    It seems to me that Al Jazeera are just trying, and failing, to suggest that Ireland is in some way comparable to countries that do actually restrict the freedoms of women.
    Extreme reproductive restrictions, even in the above mentioned cases, certainly does make Ireland comparable to countries that restrict the freedoms of women, and at a base level. My point in posting this article is how unusual attitudes as extreme as this is for a supposedly civilised, Western country. Western countries tend to support, in comparison to the likes of Iran and Afghanistan, certain basic freedoms. So in this respect the comparison to such countries is correct, and it sure makes us look like a country in the stone age.

Quote Originally Posted by darkhorse View Post
    The need for abortion in Afgan and Iran is much reduced due to their laws which have 'adultrous' women stoned to death or otherwise executed
    And they claim the high moral ground ...
    They didnt .. you just did.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Anima View Post
    An outright ban even in the case of rape or in which the health of the mother is at risk is shameful or embarrassing.

Extreme reproductive restrictions, even in the above mentioned cases, certainly does make Ireland comparable to countries that restrict the freedoms of women, and at a base level. My point in posting this article is how unusual attitudes as extreme as this is for a supposedly civilised, Western country.
    So Ireland can become more civilised by copying other supposedly civilised countries?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

World-respected news outlet Al Jazeera has done a piece on Irish abortion laws, comparing us to Afghanistan and Iran. I have never been so profoundly embarrassed to be Irish.

Money woes limit Irish abortion options - Europe - Al Jazeera English

You really need to look at the video in the article for the full report. I post this as a separate thread purely to give us some worldwide perspective.
    Oh get over yourself and your faux embarrassment.
    Defend the 8th Amendment against attack by those seeking to introduce taxpayer-funded abortion on demand in Ireland. http://prolifecampaign.ie/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bonsai Experiment View Post
    They didnt .. you just did.
    But you said
    She cannot have an abortion if the man who made her pregnant is beating her
    But beating a wife is legal in islamic countries

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think it's disingenuous of Al Jazeera to compare Ireland to Iran or Afghanistan. There is no comparison to the situation for women in Ireland versus in Iran or Afghanistan, and it' an insult to claim there is.

At least women here can travel to another country if they wish to have an abortion and they have access to information, not just where they mentioned in the report, but also from the internet.

I think the video might be exaggerating and that there might be a small number of abortions performed here to save the mother's life, for example?

Also they talk about the extreme cases, but then they show a woman, who had an abortion at age 17 because she wasn't pyschologically ready.

It's really just a journalistic report saying that abortion should be permitted in Ireland and blaming the Catholic Church for why it's not and pointing out that it's unacceptable for women to discuss having had abortions because it's a societal taboo, although it is happening.

The woman who had the abortion at 17 claims every man in Ireland knows a woman who had an abortion, but no-one talks about it. That hardly points to a situation where women in extreme circumstances aren't able to have an abortion...

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

World-respected news outlet Al Jazeera ........

You're a comedian. Right ?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast