Follow @PoliticsIE

View Poll Results: In order to be a valid poll, should there be a minimum threshold set for turnout in referenda?

Voters
175. You must be logged in to vote on this poll. Please login or register.
  • Yes

111 63.43%
  • No

64 36.57%
Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Would a very low turnout in "The Children Referedum" be a sign that a constitutional change was unnecessary?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Would a very low turnout in "The Children Referedum" be a sign that a constitutional change was unnecessary?

I've heard a few people saying they expect a low turnout in next Saturday's referendum. Most people expect it to pass by a large majority.

Was just looking at the booklet from the Referendum Commission and wondering if this vote is really necessary...

Most of the new provisions seem to commence with "Provision shall be made by law for..." It seems strange to me to put that in our constitution. It strikes me that the new provisions seem quite prescriptive to put in the Constitution. Couldn't these things (e.g. adoption after a certain period in foster care) have been provided for by law already without a referendum under the current article 42.5?

I think most people will vote YES because these are good things to provide for in law. Most people would wish that these had already been done under the existing provisions of the Constitution. There are obviously serious issues around children that need to be tackled, such as the need for more social workers, the need for appropriate care facilities, better early education etc.

One wonders how much time and money has been spent having this referendum? Would it have been better spent actually bringing in the necessary legislation under the current Constitution and sorting out the real issues around children that exist on the ground?

If there is a low turnout next Saturday, would that be a sign that this referendum is unnecessary?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This is a totally under the rader referendum. I know most households got the booklet , but that gets pick up on the floor and straight in the bin in most houses. I haven't heard any body mentioning it or asking which way I'm voting. It will be interesting to see the turn out.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think there is a minimum turnout of 28% (open to correction) for the referendum to be valid...wonder will it make that threshold.

First vote in my life I wont be attending. Fine Gael using kid's rights to look statemans like, while they screw them for every penny they'll ever make in the next thirty years isn't my idea of democracy in action.

Quote Originally Posted by terence View Post
    I think there is a minimum turnout of 28% (open to correction) for the referendum to be valid...wonder will it make that threshold.
    If Fine Gael fail to host a valid referendum on Children's rights should they leave government?

There should be a threshold for referendums. If less than 40% of the electorate don't think an issue is important enough to vote, the result should be declared void.
    Thank you for the six thousand likes.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by terence View Post
    There is no minimum threshold.
    “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty, than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson (yeah, I'm aware of the irony)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This referendum is merely a red herring to distract from the woeful haimes the government is making! They are a hapless bunch of kite flying small timers who made rash promises that they renaged on from the very start of their mandate. Roscommon A&E to be precise. Then the "not another cent" lie!

As for looking after children, well the track record of this country is disgraceful! Joke politics.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

According to Wikipedia " A simple majority is sufficient to carry an amendment and there is no minimum turnout required for a constitutional referendum to be considered valid."

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast