Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What is life like for people in Iceland now?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default What is life like for people in Iceland now?

Have heard a lot of people say we should have gone down the Iceland route with the banks. However does anyone have any hard information about what life is like for the average Icelander now. How did it affect their daily lives, were they unable to get certain goods, did they lose deposits, pensions etc?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

They lost about 20% of their savings. Irish people will lose too through tax increases as the government tries to maintain an expensive and unreformed public sector by eeking out as much as possible from a stagnant economy.

Unemployment in Iceland is about 6% and its economy will grow about 3% this year. Those responsible for its crisis have been held to account.

However, Iceland doesn't have a Micheál Martin type leader so it's not all going their way.
    I care about all sorts of crap.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by partnership View Post
    How did it affect their daily lives, were they unable to get certain goods, did they lose deposits, pensions etc?
    They still fish in the North Atlantic. Judging by the number of eastern European crew members in the Irish Fishing fleet, I don't think the Iceland model is that attractive outside d'internet
    Beer is proof that God loves us - Benjamin Franklin

Politics.ie Member kerdasi amaq's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

At least, Icelanders don't have a government that believes in putting the interests of foreigners(we took one for the team) ahead of their own people.
    We have got as much as we are going to get out of Europe; it is, now, time to leave!
    EUROPA CONVENTUS DELENDA EST!...Whistle out the marching tune.....27

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Oh, how I remember the jokes and smug remarks on the Irish forums when Iceland went bust.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Dire. Global warming is having a big effect.
    Boycott the "Irish" Sun rag.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Most of Iceland's economy is based on exports of raw materials and fish. In other words, it doesn't matter how poorly Iceland's economy is run, or whether or not it has a functioning banking system, as long as the rest of the world keeps buying fish and raw materials, they would be fine.

Which is great for Iceland, but unfortunately the same rules don't apply for us.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...rt_Treemap.jpg

Politics.ie Member Disillusioned democrat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kerdasi amaq View Post
    At least, Icelanders don't have a government that believes in putting the interests of foreigners(we took one for the team) ahead of their own people.
    To be honest that would mean more to me than having an extra €500 a month. We're being ridden by our government to serve themselves, their crony capitalist buddies in the banks and Europe, in that precise order. In Iceland they have demonstrated that their first priority was the citizens of their country....I wonder what that actually feels like?
    The more things change....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I hear It's been a lot better since they sacked Kerry Katona.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by feedmelies View Post
    Most of Iceland's economy is based on exports of raw materials and fish. In other words, it doesn't matter how poorly Iceland's economy is run, or whether or not it has a functioning banking system, as long as the rest of the world keeps buying fish and raw materials, they would be fine.

Which is great for Iceland, but unfortunately the same rules don't apply for us.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...rt_Treemap.jpg
    But I guess Ireland exports more beef and dairy products? The Icelandic people are obviously doing something right - the Irish are obviously doing something wrong. How many people have emigrated from Iceland in the last 4 years I wonder?

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast