Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 81

Thread: Brendan O'Connor in the Sindo

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member Aristodemus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    3,724
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Brendan O'Connor in the Sindo

    I just read this piece by this hack and am truly non-plussed. What exactly did Adams say that is so upsetting? When I first read it I thought that O'Connor was criticising Adams for belittling Enda Kenny because he had an intellectual disability. On re-reading it he seems to be saying that Adams' use of the word "special" meant he was insulting the greater demographic of intellectually disabled people. In the normal cut and thrust of politics this really is small beer and one wonders why O'Connor is getting so precious about it. Adams has many faults but I doubt he would be so tactless as to effectively refer to a political opponent as mentally disabled. On reflection O'Connor really is a moron.

    What Gerry said -- and what he really meant by 'special' - Analysis, Opinion - Independent.ie

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member neiphin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Lake Wobegon
    Posts
    5,513
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    was it ghost written by own arse ?
    "If we VOTE YES there will be no more austere budgets. Fact " Hammer, mayday 12'

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member Sync's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    27,581
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aristodemus View Post
    On re-reading it he seems to be saying that Adams' use of the word "special" meant he was insulting the greater demographic of intellectually disabled people. In the normal cut and thrust of politics this really is small beer and one wonders why O'Connor is getting so precious about it. Adams has many faults but I doubt he would be so tactless as to effectively refer to a political opponent as mentally disabled.
    Which is it? Is it that the term is part of the normal cut and thrust of politics or do you not think Adams meant "Special" in the context of intellectual disability? You seem to be taking opposing positions in your own paragraph.

    If you don't think he meant in in that context that how do you think he meant it?

    Durkan and Dooley's context seems clear to me, they're doing that tired old FG stance of attacking anything Adams says by referring to his links to terrorism. What was Adams context do you think?
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    55,716
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post
    Which is it? Is it that the term is part of the normal cut and thrust of politics or do you not think Adams meant "Special" in the context of intellectual disability? You seem to be taking opposing positions in your own paragraph.

    If you don't think he meant in in that context that how do you think he meant it?
    If I sarcastically remarked that Enda was "special" I'd be referring to his unique qualifications as a bit of a gobsh1te. I wouldn't be implying that he had special needs in the commonly understood sense, a bit thick maybe, but not in the special needs category. O'Connor is just pouncing on one word and then loosing the run of himself on his PC high horse.

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    4,414
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aristodemus View Post
    I just read this piece by this hack and am truly non-plussed. What exactly did Adams say that is so upsetting? When I first read it I thought that O'Connor was criticising Adams for belittling Enda Kenny because he had an intellectual disability. On re-reading it he seems to be saying that Adams' use of the word "special" meant he was insulting the greater demographic of intellectually disabled people. In the normal cut and thrust of politics this really is small beer and one wonders why O'Connor is getting so precious about it. Adams has many faults but I doubt he would be so tactless as to effectively refer to a political opponent as mentally disabled. On reflection O'Connor really is a moron.

    What Gerry said -- and what he really meant by 'special' - Analysis, Opinion - Independent.ie
    O'Connor would be upset about this subject as one of his children has a disibility.

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member Aristodemus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    3,724
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post
    Which is it? Is it that the term is part of the normal cut and thrust of politics or do you not think Adams meant "Special" in the context of intellectual disability? You seem to be taking opposing positions in your own paragraph.

    If you don't think he meant in in that context that how do you think he meant it?

    Durkan and Dooley's context seems clear to me, they're doing that tired old FG stance of attacking anything Adams says by referring to his links to terrorism. What was Adams context do you think?
    I'm not trying to be evasive but I don't know! I think it was more a sarcastic "you're special OK" rather than you are a retard. Either way what was O'Connor's beef about?

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member Sync's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    27,581
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    If I sarcastically remarked that Enda was "special" I'd be referring to his unique qualifications as a bit of a gobsh1te. I wouldn't be implying that he had special needs in the commonly understood sense, a bit thick maybe, but not in the special needs category. O'Connor is just pouncing on one word and then loosing the run of himself on his PC high horse.
    Yeah possibly. As you say though, the commonly understood sense is that it's someone with an intellectual disability. It's not a term a leader of a political party should be saying. Dunno why he bothered replying to O'Connor though, it's not as if he was going to get a fair and balanced reaction from the guy.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    55,716
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aristodemus View Post
    I'm not trying to be evasive but I don't know! I think it was more a sarcastic "you're special OK" rather than you are a retard. Either way what was O'Connor's beef about?
    My reading of it too.

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member Sync's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    27,581
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aristodemus View Post
    Either way what was O'Connor's beef about?
    He'll pretend he's defending those with disabilities, but really he just doesn't like Adams. Doesn't mean he's wrong, but ultimately his beef is he doesn't like Gerry.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    55,716
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post
    Yeah possibly. As you say though, the commonly understood sense is that it's someone with an intellectual disability. It's not a term a leader of a political party should be saying. Dunno why he bothered replying to O'Connor though, it's not as if he was going to get a fair and balanced reaction from the guy.
    True - but there is also an older meaner of the term which, as Aristodemus says, is more along the lines of "your special alright" and that was how I interpreted his comment.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •