Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 44 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Is celibacy in a RC vow of chastity psychologically unhealthy?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Is celibacy in a RC vow of chastity psychologically unhealthy?

Celibacy could prove a difficult issue for the Catholic Church,with a la carte Catholic priests in Africa,France and elsewhere keeping mistresses as housekeepers. In Ireland,it has contributed to the decline in the indigeneous clergy who are becoming an endangered species.

This should not be surprising.A couple of million years of human sexual evolution makes it extremely hard to repress sexuality. A psychologist's opinion I once read claimed that repressed sexuality will find an outlet somehow,sometimes in bizarre or even perverted activity.

On the other hand,recently I read a compliment of clergy by a non-Catholic English person that the strongest characters he had come across in life were Catholic priests and nuns. Could it be that the monumental struggle to repress sexuality strengthened their character?

Years ago I suggested to a Jesuit priest that the Church might change the celibacy rule,given that the rule didn't apply in the first few hundred years of the Church's existence and was only introduced on practical grounds, to prevent the families of the clergy from stealing Church property. The priest looked despairing and anguished when he said that his lifelong struggle with celibacy would be made look futile if celibacy was revoked.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by patslatt View Post
    Celibacy could prove a difficult issue for the Catholic Church,with a la carte Catholic priests in Africa,France and elsewhere keeping mistresses as housekeepers. In Ireland,it has contributed to the decline in the indigeneous clergy who are becoming an endangered species.

This should not be surprising.A couple of million years of human sexual evolution makes it extremely hard to repress sexuality. A psychologist's opinion I once read claimed that repressed sexuality will find an outlet somehow,sometimes in bizarre or even perverted activity.

On the other hand,recently I read a compliment of clergy by a non-Catholic English person that the strongest characters he had come across in life were Catholic priests and nuns. Could it be that the monumental struggle to repress sexuality strengthened their character?

Years ago I suggested to a Jesuit priest that the Church might change the celibacy rule,given that the rule didn't apply in the first few hundred years of the Church's existence and was only introduced on practical grounds, to prevent the families of the clergy from stealing Church property. The priest looked despairing and anguished when he said that his lifelong struggle with celibacy would be made look futile if celibacy was revoked.
    Wouldn't it be shocking if that was one of the main reasons the guys in charge won't even consider a discussion on the subject.
    There is no Keyser Soze

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If you're a priest, shell out the €60 and speak to a doctor. If you're not, why should you care?
    Beer is proof that God loves us - Benjamin Franklin

Politics.ie Royalty toxic avenger's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Celibacy as an ideal is by no means confined to Catholicism (the Buddhists have the same ideas) - though I have no objection in principle to a married priesthood at parish level and no higher. I'd argue that for some it is psychologically unhealthy, particularly the sexually immature or those pursuing the vocation half-heartedly. But for others it's an ideal that they are quite happy to make the sacrifice for and actually feel benefits from, though acknowledging the difficulties ever-present. It entirely depends on the priest. Which is why there needs to be far better quality control at seminary level...

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Are priests any more faithful to the vow of chastity than the vow of poverty or obedience?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think the celibacy requirement should be changed.

At school in the fifties guys around the age of 17 were deciding that they had a "vocation" - literally that they were being called to the priesthood.

Off they went to Maynooth or similar. Proud Mammy telling neighbours that little Johnny going to be priest, and that she was so looking forward to attending Father John's first mass, getting his blessing.

Meanwhile Johnny after a year or two is having doubts about his vocation. One factor influencing him is that he will let his mother down. Many went on and got ordained for that reason.

imho it is not healthy to be celibate.

Church of Ireland seem to cope well with married clergy. RC will have to consider this, as average age of their clergy increases and numbers on the ground thin out

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sex is a primal need in most humans, and if not catered to, terrible physical and emotional anguish can result. The sex need will usually manifest itself in other ways, usually in an disproportionate avarice for power, which caracterizes many of the great Churchmen. The idea of a man remaining celibate for perhaps 60 years or more goes against the basic needs bequeathed by nature, not to mention the loneliness that is accompanied with a lack of life partner.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think the rule should be relaxed

CLEARLY many Priests were unable to cope with the huge demands on them by this rule

Married Priests are fine by me

But priests with a string of girlfriends....

Now that could be a problem!

Politics.ie Royalty toxic avenger's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Glaucon View Post
    Sex is a primal need in most humans. If it is not catered to, terrible physical and emotional anguish can result. The idea of a man remaining celibate for perhaps 60 years goes against the needs of nature, not to mention the loneliness that is accompanied with a lack of life partner.
    Can result - it depends on the person. Some priests, believe it or not, are entirely willing to make that sacrifice. Indeed many want to. It's not just Catholicism, either - Buddhist enlightenment virtually demands it - dedication to enlightenment means the overcoming of the base urges (which they view as transient and a form of slavery - a false freedom which in fact entails loss of control to the trick that nature plays on us to get us to reproduce) and a choice to accept life without family in order to achieve it.

Page 1 of 44 1234511 ... LastLast