Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Energy costs. Do you understand your bill?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Energy costs. Do you understand your bill?

I am struggling to figure it out TBH.

There are so many add ons, carbon tax, standing charge, VAT etc.

And the charges? Wha...

How does anyone work out the unit usage, or kw per hour or whatever. Seems the billing period is not consistent

And the gas price is outrageous.

These energy providers are all making a handsome profit, but the price is going up exponentially! Why is that!

Ah sorry, just got a bill for 659 from gas. My own feckin fault, estimated for yonks... I didn't tell a certain person about this, had to bite the bullet.

But am lucky I could pay it. Don't get me wrong.

Are we being conned with all the info in the bill? Or should we be more educated by the providers?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

https://www.electricireland.ie/ei/re...-your-bill.jsp

When you called those people what did they say?
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post
    https://www.electricireland.ie/ei/re...-your-bill.jsp

When you called those people what did they say?
    Why should we have to have our bill interpreted? And then pay the cost of the call, and the time taken with Mozart playing aswell?.

I think we just pay the bill and that's that. They don't make it easy to understand. That's my point.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Most people can understand their bills just fine. It's itemised so you can easily understand how it's split. They have service for people who still can't understand the bill but you've neither called them nor emailed them apparently.

So what specifically would you like them to do and how do you think they're going to know to do it if you refuse to contact them?
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I better go back and read the bill again so...

Suitably told off me

I am dumbo. Sorry. But that's a place in New York, as I discovered during Sandy.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I'm not telling you off, but they've got a department set up to help you, a phone number to call and an email address to reach them on.

They've got separate sections on how to lower your bill: https://www.electricireland.ie/ei/re...ng-my-bill.jsp

and how to identify heavy use items: https://www.electricireland.ie/ei/re...alculators.jsp

They just seem to be trying to be as helpful as they can?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post
    I'm not telling you off, but they've got a department set up to help you, a phone number to call and an email address to reach them on.

They've got separate sections on how to lower your bill: https://www.electricireland.ie/ei/re...ng-my-bill.jsp

and how to identify heavy use items: https://www.electricireland.ie/ei/re...alculators.jsp

They just seem to be trying to be as helpful as they can?
    It's the gas bill that bothers me frankly.

Now I'm not stupid, but I find it hard to understand the timings I suppose. When the readings should be submitted (we don't have an outdoor meter).

Esb is good for this, if you ring in the reading, an adjusted bill arrives two days hence.

Gas.? Foggy TBH.

But I am suitably chastened, and will try and sort it out.

Was just wondering if anyone else had similar issues.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by asset test View Post
    Why should we have to have our bill interpreted? And then pay the cost of the call, and the time taken with Mozart playing aswell?.

I think we just pay the bill and that's that. They don't make it easy to understand. That's my point.
    Agree 100%. The only thing that is important to me is that I know the price of a unit in total, It is gone to the stage where if one uses too little of the product the charge one extra. Next it will be that if I have only one pint I will be charged extra......

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lying eyes View Post
    Agree 100%. The only thing that is important to me is that I know the price of a unit in total, It is gone to the stage where if one uses too little of the product the charge one extra. Next it will be that if I have only one pint I will be charged extra......
    And the price has gone up this month too. So there are two charges, one at the old rate, before the rise, and one at the new rate.

Head staggers is not the word here!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

[QUOTE=asset test;5978934]I am struggling to figure it out TBH.

There are so many add ons, carbon tax, standing charge, VAT etc.

And the charges? Wha...

How does anyone work out the unit usage, or kw per hour or whatever. Seems the billing period is not consistent

And the gas price is outrageous.

These energy providers are all making a handsome profit, but the price is going up exponentially! Why is that!

Ah sorry, just got a bill for 659 from gas. My own feckin fault, estimated for yonks... I didn't tell a certain person about this, had to bite the bullet.

But am lucky I could pay it. Don't get me wrong.

Check when they took a reading, then check that date against the recent increases, check if they charged your total usage on the new increased rate!

This happened me a few years ago... Mine too had been estimated for yonks, nearly collapsed when I got the total with the new reading.... But read about a case taken by a customer, same story... But challenged it and discovered they had charged all his estimated costs at the new increased cost.. When I went aboiut it the same way...That was exactly what they had to to my bill... SORTED! by more than half!...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast