Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 23 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Were you bullied in school? Did you bully anyone in school?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Were you bullied in school? Did you bully anyone in school?

I was thinking of this,when I heard about the young girls (13 years old) in Donegal being questioned by Gardai in relation to the suicide of Erin Gallagher.
    Thats an awful young age to have the death of anyone to carry on your shoulders.

It made me think of my schooldays, pre internet and mobile phone of course, so there was no cyber bullying.
    The bully was in your face, toe to toe.
    There was a pecking order, with one bully picking a weaker kid, and that weaker kid picking an even weaker kid etc.
    Hand on heart, looking back now there were kids in my class I did bully, and there were times I also felt bullied.
    Not violently, but I did make fun of them, mock them and generally made them feel small.
    At the time it was not a big social discussion, there were no Counsellors and child psycholigists. It was seen as part of growing up.
    On reflection, and as a father now, I feel horrible when I think back on this.
    I often met these fellow classmates in later years, as adults. And we greeted and chatted and said goodbye and went our ways.
    I often wonder if they still hold animosities from childhood days.
    When I think of those young girls who now have to carry the burden of living in a small town like Letterkenny, and being blamed for the death of a classmate, I can't help feeling sorry for them.
    I think very few people can look back and say they didn't bully or pick on someone at least once.
    Were you a bully? Were you bullied?

Politics.ie Member Roman Emperor's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Truth.ie View Post
    ...There was a pecking order, with one bully picking a weaker kid, and that weaker kid picking an even weaker kid etc....
    Big fleas have little fleas upon their backs to bite them. And little fleas have lesser fleas, and so, ad infinitum.-The Siphonaptera

Maybe a bit of both, but probably more bullied than bully.

There were occasions when I got a few smacks from the same lads, but I was able to deal with that eventually through diplomatic channels.

My bullying of others never amounted to more than slagging. Slagging is grand I think, until it becomes persistent, personal and many against one. Thinking back, I did do a bit of that - not good.

The biggest bullies in my school though, were two christian brothers. The fcking ************************s.
    Redacted.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Wine socks, Brown george webs and a pair of dungerees.. Of course I's bullied.. I's blessed that the bloke next to me had ears twice the size of mine.. Of course we called him FA Cup.. As kids do.. It's hard to tell with kids.. When they tell you they're being bullied and they're squeezing a tear out at the same time as they're talkin' about switching school.. That's where the Yup Yup Rule comes in.. What's the Yup Yup Rule.. Yup the Yard .. Get off that wall yar buildin'.. When I's your age I ne'er missed a day etc.

It's a hard one to call.. I'm a bit old fashioned in that way.. A sneaky social conservative.. I think all kids should just shur up and go to school.. After that everythings hunky dory as far as I'm concerned..

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Was neither. We were raised not to be either. And my daughter is the same. And she stood up for one of her chums who was being bullied. Was so proud of her. Only thing most of them require is someone to face them down, Failing that a good hiding.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

OP - It made me think of my schooldays, pre internet and mobile phone of course, so there was no cyber bullying.

That's the problem isn't it - t'internet.. Generation gap.. My kid came home one day and told me one of her mates was being bullied for being gay.. I told her to stick up for him and went half ballistic over it.. But when she told me she was having the same argument with her grandmother I felt guilty as she's an old catholic type who just doesn't get the 'change'.. But a good person nonetheless..

When it leads to the death of a teen it's an understatement to call it tragic but we really don't know what happened.. I actually haven't a clue about this particular case.. Just sad..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I was never bullied and I never bullied anyone, but do feel guilty about not standing up for the people I seen being bullied.

I have no pity for them girls who bullied this girl to death, such a tragedy, a life lost for nothing.
    “The French Revolution was nothing but a precursor of another revolution, one that will be bigger, more solemn, and which will be the last.” Babeuf

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Truth.ie View Post
    I was thinking of this,when I heard about the young girls (13 years old) in Donegal being questioned by Gardai in relation to the suicide of Erin Gallagher.
    Thats an awful young age to have the death of anyone to carry on your shoulders.

It made me think of my schooldays, pre internet and mobile phone of course, so there was no cyber bullying.
    The bully was in your face, toe to toe.
    There was a pecking order, with one bully picking a weaker kid, and that weaker kid picking an even weaker kid etc.
    Hand on heart, looking back now there were kids in my class I did bully, and there were times I also felt bullied.
    Not violently, but I did make fun of them, mock them and generally made them feel small.
    At the time it was not a big social discussion, there were no Counsellors and child psycholigists. It was seen as part of growing up.
    On reflection, and as a father now, I feel horrible when I think back on this.
    I often met these fellow classmates in later years, as adults. And we greeted and chatted and said goodbye and went our ways.
    I often wonder if they still hold animosities from childhood days.
    When I think of those young girls who now have to carry the burden of living in a small town like Letterkenny, and being blamed for the death of a classmate, I can't help feeling sorry for them.
    I think very few people can look back and say they didn't bully or pick on someone at least once.
    Were you a bully? Were you bullied?
    The girls whp bullied the girl in Donegal deserve no sympathy, they put this on themselves,years ago you got naybe bullird at school and you could go home, now you can't with text messages and facebook, them girls has a chance to get over it, the girl in Donegal will never get the chance.
    I heard what one school done to stop a bully,say this person was good at say art,music or sports, so what they were good at they stopped them doing it and they had a good improvement on them

Quote Originally Posted by Gracchus View Post
    I was never bullied and I never bullied anyone, but do feel guilty about not standing up for the people I seen being bullied.

I have no pity for them girls who bullied this girl to death, such a tragedy, a life lost for nothing.
    I do, because they knew not what they were doing.

Why does it always take an atheist to point out what jesus would have said?
    Redacted.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I was both and i regret bulling. I kinda got abit of a messiah complex later on in life for defending people being bullied and picked on and nearly got stabbed once for it for jumping in nearly ever fight i came across. Part of me likes the fact i got bullied cause i am a lot stronger person than most people and i see my bullies now and then i can happily say i strong while they are weak. suffering builds character as they say

Most people are lazy by nature and will fall into ruts. We are not all what we want to be and look for ways to get power and to feel good. this is were bullies are born. All people abuse power, its not just polticians or bankers that do it. we all abuse power. parents, teachers older brothers and sisters, gardi and so on. anyone that has power abuse it one way or another.

I feel sorry for the dead girl but i also feel sorry for the bullies, cause mostly they are young and i believe they didn't truely know that they were doing.they wrote abuse on a computer and sent it to someone they knew, while us the audience of this tragic play do the jeering at the actors left to hear us. People should look on here and social networks and see the bullying of the bullies. the only difference is that the bullies on here and elsewhere sent abuse in an indirect way.

The circle continues.......
    All men dream: but not equally. -T. E. Lawrence

Page 1 of 23 1234511 ... LastLast