Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Media to be allowed report on family and child care court cases

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Media to be allowed report on family and child care court cases

Minister for Justice Alan Shatter has announced that the government intends to amend the in camera rule to allow media reporting on family law and child care cases. At present the media and all other non-parties are excluded from court.

The legislation will amend the in camera rule to allow press access to the courts in family law and child care proceedings. They will be subject to a strict prohibition on the publication of any material which would lead to the identification of the people involved, and care will be taken to ensure that the best interests of children are protected.
    On balance, I welcome this. The complete ban on reporting what goes on in family cases is not good for the administration of justice and for public confidence in the legal system. For the most part, it will show that the conspiracy theories of the likes of John Waters, that the family law system is institutionally anti-men, is baseless. On the other hand, it will help to keep some judges on the straight and narrow.

However, it's not without risks. I don't think there's a real danger in Dublin or Cork of being able to identify parties through the reporting of what goes on in Cork. However, in rural areas there are relatively few family and child care cases every year, and it certainly would seem more likely that nosy neighbours would be able to guess the identity of some of the parties referred to in the media. Overall though I think this is a price worth paying.

Reporting to be allowed on family law and child care court cases

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Good development alright. Will be interesting to see the reporting from dolphin house and the press' interpretation of DJs social workers and litigants generally
    "I like a bit of a cavort, I don't send 'em solicitor's letters. I apply a bit of pressure"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Will tax cases still be in secret?
    "It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's incompatible with the "family taxations are secret" provisions in Shatter's bill, certainly.

A welcome development, and with the rate of marital breakdown and the era of more casual relationships resulting in children it is an area of law that will effect more and more people. I think that it can only be a good thing to have the secrecy surrounding decisions lifted.
    "If we can but prevent the government from wasting the labours of the people, under the pretence of taking care of them, they must become happy." - Thomas Jefferson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Diawlbach View Post
    It's incompatible with the "family taxations are secret" provisions in Shatter's bill, certainly.
    now now D, its still a bill, i'm sure that when it gets some treatment from grown ups it will be a fine Act
    "I like a bit of a cavort, I don't send 'em solicitor's letters. I apply a bit of pressure"

Politics.ie Member Nemesiscorporation's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by borntorum View Post
    Minister for Justice Alan Shatter has announced that the government intends to amend the in camera rule to allow media reporting on family law and child care cases. At present the media and all other non-parties are excluded from court.

On balance, I welcome this. The complete ban on reporting what goes on in family cases is not good for the administration of justice and for public confidence in the legal system. For the most part, it will show that the conspiracy theories of the likes of John Waters, that the family law system is institutionally anti-men, is baseless. On the other hand, it will help to keep some judges on the straight and narrow.

However, it's not without risks. I don't think there's a real danger in Dublin or Cork of being able to identify parties through the reporting of what goes on in Cork. However, in rural areas there are relatively few family and child care cases every year, and it certainly would seem more likely that nosy neighbours would be able to guess the identity of some of the parties referred to in the media. Overall though I think this is a price worth paying.

This is a long overdue development.

Now all they need to do is report on all the tax evasion cases.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

All Governments for the past 20 years have promised same to no avail. I would welcome it's introduction but I am of the opinion that this move, coming at this moment in time, is a blantant ruse to assuage the public fears for the administration of the new powers sought in the Childrens Referendum. A clear sign that the Yes side is becoming very concerned that their “shoo in” proposal maybe in trouble.
    Last edited by Grey Area; 4th November 2012 at 06:37 AM.
    “That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.” - Christopher Hitchens

Quote Originally Posted by borntorum View Post

It's statistically anti men. 90% so or thereabouts, and I'm being generous.
    Fianna Fail - The Anti Democratic Party & The Anti Constitutional Party. Traitors of Irishmen and Irishwomen.

Presumably the media will be allowed to report the nature of the case but not the family name and address etc?
    Redacted.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast