Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 78

Thread: britain demanding huge cuts to eu budget, they should decide if they're in or out

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Wexford
    Posts
    517
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default britain demanding huge cuts to eu budget, they should decide if they're in or out

    britain is not compromising on a demand to reduce the eu budget by 20% and the polish commissioner has told them to decide if they're in europe or out
    EU Budget Commissioner Challenges UK Loyalty to Europe - SPIEGEL ONLINE

    The eu commission does some communication on where the money goes, a lot of is spent back into the individual member states through various activities such as research, cap, .... other areas 6% goes to admin, 7% on eu foreign policy and 1% on 2% on protection of rights and justice.
    http://ec.europa.eu/budget/library/b...port_11_en.pdf

    a 20% reduction in budget seems massive, what would the areas to cut be ? or is this a case where the british pm is simply scoring points in british national politics by being seen to be difficult in europe ? by demanding the impossible David Cameron can hold up the eu budgetary process via the british veto and effectively hold europe to ransom, to the applause of the conservative euro skeptics

    So is it reasonable to score points in national politics by obstructing european process ? If so then should britain just drop out of the union rather than disrupt the cooperation of others. Or does David Cameron really think a 20% budget reduction is both desirable and feasible ? How could such cuts be achieved, what would have to be sacrificed ?

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member Disillusioned democrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    15,283
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    To be honest when I heard on the news the other day that the EU was looking for a bigger budget I was outraged - they have failed to regulate the banks that support their pet currency and have failed to take responsibility for the crisis caused by banks under their umbrella "regulation", and have failed to come up with a response 4 years into a crisis. Their citizens are asked to pay more tax for less income and the EU leadership is completely unaccountable.

    I think just because it's Britain demanding something doesn't make it wrong - I'm beginning to see Barrossa as a Senator Palpatine character, looking to use crisis to increase his powers and influence and to be honest I'd almost be in favour of exiting the EU myself now for all the good it's got us....it let FF buy two elections with inward investment but is now looking for payback.
    The more things change....

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Royalty toxic avenger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    London
    Posts
    19,031
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    It's just grandstanding.

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    11,231
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    The EU has no problem asking other countries to make huge reductions in their budgets. What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,416
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dancl2000 View Post
    britain is not compromising on a demand to reduce the eu budget by 20% and the polish commissioner has told them to decide if they're in europe or out
    EU Budget Commissioner Challenges UK Loyalty to Europe - SPIEGEL ONLINE

    The eu commission does some communication on where the money goes, a lot of is spent back into the individual member states through various activities such as research, cap, .... other areas 6% goes to admin, 7% on eu foreign policy and 1% on 2% on protection of rights and justice.
    http://ec.europa.eu/budget/library/b...port_11_en.pdf

    a 20% reduction in budget seems massive, what would the areas to cut be ? or is this a case where the british pm is simply scoring points in british national politics by being seen to be difficult in europe ? by demanding the impossible David Cameron can hold up the eu budgetary process via the british veto and effectively hold europe to ransom, to the applause of the conservative euro skeptics

    So is it reasonable to score points in national politics by obstructing european process ? If so then should britain just drop out of the union rather than disrupt the cooperation of others. Or does David Cameron really think a 20% budget reduction is both desirable and feasible ? How could such cuts be achieved, what would have to be sacrificed ?
    Is there any reason why David and Cameron are the only proper nouns which you capitalised?

  6. #6
    MrFunkyBoogaloo
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dancl2000 View Post
    britain is not compromising on a demand to reduce the eu budget by 20% and the polish commissioner has told them to decide if they're in europe or out
    EU Budget Commissioner Challenges UK Loyalty to Europe - SPIEGEL ONLINE

    The eu commission does some communication on where the money goes, a lot of is spent back into the individual member states through various activities such as research, cap, .... other areas 6% goes to admin, 7% on eu foreign policy and 1% on 2% on protection of rights and justice.
    http://ec.europa.eu/budget/library/b...port_11_en.pdf

    a 20% reduction in budget seems massive, what would the areas to cut be ? or is this a case where the british pm is simply scoring points in british national politics by being seen to be difficult in europe ? by demanding the impossible David Cameron can hold up the eu budgetary process via the british veto and effectively hold europe to ransom, to the applause of the conservative euro skeptics

    So is it reasonable to score points in national politics by obstructing european process ? If so then should britain just drop out of the union rather than disrupt the cooperation of others. Or does David Cameron really think a 20% budget reduction is both desirable and feasible ? How could such cuts be achieved, what would have to be sacrificed ?
    Why is it that Britain bear the brunt of this charade? Denmark and Sweden have also voiced concerns about the EU budget with Denmark also threatening to veto the budget proposal. Perhaps they too should decide if they're in or out.

    The budget proposals for 2014-2020 are estimated to cost in the region of 1,033 billion, so a 20% cut would be circa 207 billion or 34 billion per annum out of a 172 billion p/a budget.

    I think it highly reasonable for member states who are pursuing austerity policies to insist that the EU do the same.

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member The System Works's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,285
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dancl2000 View Post
    britain is not compromising on a demand to reduce the eu budget by 20% and the polish commissioner has told them to decide if they're in europe or out
    EU Budget Commissioner Challenges UK Loyalty to Europe - SPIEGEL ONLINE

    The eu commission does some communication on where the money goes, a lot of is spent back into the individual member states through various activities such as research, cap, .... other areas 6% goes to admin, 7% on eu foreign policy and 1% on 2% on protection of rights and justice.
    http://ec.europa.eu/budget/library/b...port_11_en.pdf

    a 20% reduction in budget seems massive, what would the areas to cut be ? or is this a case where the british pm is simply scoring points in british national politics by being seen to be difficult in europe ? by demanding the impossible David Cameron can hold up the eu budgetary process via the british veto and effectively hold europe to ransom, to the applause of the conservative euro skeptics

    So is it reasonable to score points in national politics by obstructing european process ? If so then should britain just drop out of the union rather than disrupt the cooperation of others. Or does David Cameron really think a 20% budget reduction is both desirable and feasible ? How could such cuts be achieved, what would have to be sacrificed ?
    I wish we could just get out.

    And by the way, this government is making domestic cutbacks, so why not cutbacks in the amount going to Brussels? Is that so unfeasible?

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Wexford
    Posts
    517
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Con Gallagher View Post
    Is there any reason why David and Cameron are the only proper nouns which you capitalised?
    small letters use less space on the server

  9. #9
    MrFunkyBoogaloo
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The System Works View Post
    I wish we could just get out.

    And by the way, this government is making domestic cutbacks, so why not cutbacks in the amount going to Brussels? Is that so unfeasible?
    The fact that Ireland isn't calling for cuts to the EU budget when the EU insists on the same here says a lot about the government.

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    3,336
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MrFunkyBoogaloo View Post
    Why is it that Britain bear the brunt of this charade? Denmark and Sweden have also voiced concerns about the EU budget with Denmark also threatening to veto the budget proposal. Perhaps they too should decide if they're in or out.

    The budget proposals for 2014-2020 are estimated to cost in the region of 1,033 billion, so a 20% cut would be circa 207 billion or 34 billion per annum out of a 172 billion p/a budget.

    I think it highly reasonable for member states who are pursuing austerity policies to insist that the EU do the same.
    All i can say is fair play to britain and the others on this and if people want to push all the credit onto britan im sure they wont mind getting all the kudos.
    Support the NVNG Movement

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •