Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: TG4 becomes second most-watched Irish station with their sports coverage

Default TG4 becomes second most-watched Irish station with their sports coverage

This relates to early last month. Sports with Irish-language commentary seems not to put too many people off from watching the station, it seems.

Approximately one in five of those viewing TV in Ireland during the matches on Saturday and Sunday were watching TG4. TG4 was the second most popular channel in Ireland on Saturday night, beaten narrowly into second place by RTÉ One, while TG4 was the top Irish channel by a distance on Sunday afternoon, securing a viewing share twice the size of its nearest rivals.
    Ladies Football and Rugby attract huge TG4 audiences - Hoganstand.com

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's the Irish channel that I watch the most ,I like the offbeat documentaries and the "free" sport coverage . All in all , not a bad little channel .

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

GAA should give them everything. RTE think GAA starts in JUne and ends in Spetember.

Politics.ie Member Tin Foil Hat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's just a shame they won't broadcast those sports in a language most of us can understand.
    I always watch rugby on Irish tv, where possible. Except when it's on TG4 - I'll always look for another option if it's there.

Politics.ie Member stopdoingstuff's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's a deadly channel.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Foil Hat View Post
    It's just a shame they won't broadcast those sports in a language most of us can understand.
    I always watch rugby on Irish tv, where possible. Except when it's on TG4 - I'll always look for another option if it's there.
    Why would the language be such an issue? I often used to watch rugby games on S4C (Welsh commentary) or TV5 (French commentary) and the language barrier never detracted from the experience. Switch over during the analysis by all means but not watching the games themselves seems like cutting off your nose to spite your face...

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Funnily enough when i was in the gaeltacht last summer at oideasgael i met a couple of people doing the course up there for just this reason they wanted to understand the commentary and since the reason of the station is to promote the language this seems to be doing a good job. Maybe you should go to a few classes and pick up the language so they do broadcast in a language you understand.

Great job Tg4 it is a pity you dont get more of the license money . Tg4 is simply the best station in ireland by a long shot. I even like how a few companys have dubbed their adds into Irish .
    Support the NVNG Movement

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's more of a shame Irish people can't be arsed learning the language.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cornerman View Post

It's more of a shame Irish people can't be arsed learning the language.
    Well, to an extent, yes, but many of us have other priorities.

I watch rugby on TG4 all the time and appreciate the coverage. It's a far better channel than RTÉ.
    “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty, than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson (yeah, I'm aware of the irony)

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Anyone who went to school here who is not a cretin would pick up sports commentary pretty quickly!

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast