Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ash Tree Dieback (Chalara fraxinea)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Ash Tree Dieback (Chalara fraxinea)

This disease was first identified in Poland in 1992 and has now spread to most European countries including here recently in county Leitrim. It seems very likely we will lose 90% of our native ash because of this disease.

I planted about 60+ ash trees two years ago and now seems very likely they will die, luckily I also planted as much willow, birch, sycamore and maple.

I am a little confused as to why anyone in Leitrim would import ash saplings as I regard them usually until now as a pest, seeding everywhere and having to be removed/mowed/sprayed...

Link here and there is loads on the net about it for those interested...

Politics.ie Royalty toxic avenger's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by truthisfree View Post
    This disease was first identified in Poland in 1992 and has now spread to most European countries including here recently in county Leitrim. It seems very likely we will lose 90% of our native ash because of this disease.

I planted about 60+ ash trees two years ago and now seems very likely they will die, luckily I also planted as much willow, birch, sycamore and maple.

I am a little confused as to why anyone in Leitrim would import ash saplings as I regard them usually until now as a pest, seeding everywhere and having to be removed/mowed/sprayed...

Link here and there is loads on the net about it for those interested...
    Did you not consider sycamore a pest (and a foreign one at that)?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Aw, thanks for that, did not do a search first....and thanks to Des for highlighting this...Mods you can zoo/merge this as ye see fit...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by toxic avenger View Post
    Did you not consider sycamore a pest (and a foreign one at that)?
    Hard one to call TA...Sycamore lives for 800yrs approx, feeds a lot of insects compared to other native trees and is very good firewood, fast growing and very good wood to work with...the debate goes on...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sycamore is a total weed and never goes away! No matter how many times you cut it down or try to pull the roots it keeps coming back vigorously!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gloria View Post
    Sycamore is a total weed and never goes away! No matter how many times you cut it down or try to pull the roots it keeps coming back vigorously!
    Really, try coppicing, it works very well and lets more light through and rewards you with colourful bark and healthier leaves. Great firewood to burn too and keeps many insects and birds happier than a lot more trees.

Anyway, if you know anything about trees a quick lick of "Brushwood" on the stem after cutting sees that it will never grow again

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hard one to call TA...Sycamore lives for 800yrs approx, feeds a lot of insects compared to other native trees and is very good firewood, fast growing and very good wood to work with...the debate goes on...
    We have less tree cover than hot, dusty Israel.
    We need all the trees we can get, especially broadleaves and decidiuos.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Really, try coppicing, it works very well and lets more light through and rewards you with colourful bark and healthier leaves. Great firewood to burn too and keeps many insects and birds happier than a lot more trees.

Anyway, if you know anything about trees a quick lick of "Brushwood" on the stem after cutting sees that it will never grow again
    Thanks truth, but I can do without the beauty of this annoying tree/weed! I do not appreciate it growing from the foundations of my house.. every time I remove it it just comes back stronger the next year ( I have a woods behind the house and the sycamore is the only tree that invades)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Truth.ie View Post
    We have less tree cover than hot, dusty Israel.
    We need all the trees we can get, especially broadleaves and decidiuos.
    We do indeed, I have a personal weakness (strength) for growing trees, sowed about 150 two yrs ago in a place that is already almost woodland....

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast