Follow @PoliticsIE

Thread: Melbourne council out to grab charity cash

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Melbourne council out to grab charity cash

THE Melbourne City Council is challenging the power of magistrates to make offenders pay money to charities as part of their punishment, in a decision the non-profit sector fears will cost them millions of dollars.
    It is appealing a decision from 2011 when a magistrate required an individual who pleaded guilty to breaching the Food Act to donate $2500 to St Vincent De Paul's food van service. It is common practice for magistrates to require offenders to make a payment to a charity when they release them without conviction.
    At issue is whether a payment to a charity is considered a fine under the Sentencing Act. A lot of uneasy charities over here at the moment........

City challenges charity penalties
    Dear Lord Baby Jesus, I want to thank you for Pink Floyd

Australians love big fines.
    If an Australian does not want to do something for you,
    they often trot out some story about the heavy 'foine' they would get if they did.
    It's their traditional national excuse.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by controller View Post
    THE Melbourne City Council is challenging the power of magistrates to make offenders pay money to charities as part of their punishment, in a decision the non-profit sector fears will cost them millions of dollars.
    It is appealing a decision from 2011 when a magistrate required an individual who pleaded guilty to breaching the Food Act to donate $2500 to St Vincent De Paul's food van service. It is common practice for magistrates to require offenders to make a payment to a charity when they release them without conviction.
    At issue is whether a payment to a charity is considered a fine under the Sentencing Act. A lot of uneasy charities over here at the moment........

City challenges charity penalties
    I see the logic.. it costs the state money to take a case to court and with a favourable verdict the judge then rewards a vaguely related charity with some money. Surely if any money is to be paid; it should be paid to the state

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

But the same thing happens in Irish Courts (I'm sure)
    Dear Lord Baby Jesus, I want to thank you for Pink Floyd

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by controller View Post
    But the same thing happens in Irish Courts (I'm sure)
    yep