Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Will Gimore pull a Michael O'Leary?

Default Will Gimore pull a Michael O'Leary?

With Labour support in freefall, a terrified Parliamentary Party, a furious grassroots, and a Deputy Leader looking to stick the knife in - it seems the leadership of Eamon Gilmore (and with it, perhaps even the Labour Party's participation in Government) is on borrowed time and his legacy as leader will not be a good one. Given that he has a proven ability to change parties at will, has little to no problem with Fine Gael, has little to no loyalty to the principles of the Labour Party, it's grassroots, it's backbenchers or its councillors - is the possibility open that if/when he is given the boot, he may make the big switch to FG?

This is particularly relevant if the plan for the new Labour Administration is to leave Government - if pulled a Michael O'Leary, he could remain in Government as a FG minister.

Thoughts?

There I was presuming that you were talking about one of Irelands most successful businessmen and wondered what a stickie would be copying him.

Now I realise it was about Dimples O'Deary and it all becomes clear.

Given Gilmore has turned his coat so often anything is possible.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

O'Leary is out of Gilmore's league
    I liberate minds with my music. That's more important than liberating a few people from apartheid or whatever. - Kanye West

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Concerned Irishman View Post
    With Labour support in freefall, a terrified Parliamentary Party, a furious grassroots, and a Deputy Leader looking to stick the knife in - it seems the leadership of Eamon Gilmore (and with it, perhaps even the Labour Party's participation in Government) is on borrowed time and his legacy as leader will not be a good one. Given that he has a proven ability to change parties at will, has little to no problem with Fine Gael, has little to no loyalty to the principles of the Labour Party, it's grassroots, it's backbenchers or its councillors - is the possibility open that if/when he is given the boot, he may make the big switch to FG?

This is particularly relevant if the plan for the new Labour Administration is to leave Government - if pulled a Michael O'Leary, he could remain in Government as a FG minister.

Thoughts?

Freefall? Labour is at 13% in the Red C poll. They were at 13% in the Red C poll in May.
    Cry your hardest now, it opens the lungs, washes the countenance, exercises the eyes and softens down the temper. So cry away.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Does Killmore drink Martini shaken not stirred, or Heineken. One thing is sure, he could afford this car:

Oh Freefall, not Skyfall, delete delete.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Isn't this just a rehash of the other thread on Labour's opinion poll rating in the latest Red C poll last weekend.

http://www.politics.ie/forum/labour/...free-fall.html
    "You want fame? Well, fame costs. And right here is where you start paying........"

Quote Originally Posted by Limerick Lad View Post
    Isn't this just a rehash of the other thread on Labour's opinion poll rating in the latest Red C poll last weekend.

http://www.politics.ie/forum/labour/...free-fall.html
    No, it's asking specifically whether a jump to FG from Gilbore is on the cards. And no, I'm not referring to Michael O'Leary of Ryanair, I'm referring to the Michael O'Leary that was leader of the Labour Party in the early 80's, before telling them to go feck themselves while still in that office and abandoning ship to the Blueshirts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael...8politician%29

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I wouldnt rule it out. I think Rabbitte is more likely though

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

[QUOTE=Concerned Irishman;5967699]No, it's asking specifically whether a jump to FG from Gilbore is on the cards. And no, I'm not referring to Michael O'Leary of Ryanair, I'm referring to the Michael O'Leary that was leader of the Labour Party in the early 80's, before telling them to go feck themselves while still in that office and abandoning ship to the Blueshirts.[QUOTE]

A couple of facts. O'Leary was not still in government when he left the Labour party(the 81-82 FG/LB government having just collapsed). He was subsequently kept out of office by his former Labour colleagues in the 82-87 FG/LB government.

Another fact which, no matter how often its repeated, seems to be ignored is that Labour, at 13% in the polls is higher than it has been for most of the past 20 years, its normal performance being around 10%. So to outline the collapse as you do in the OP is, I suggest, a tad premature
    Even Educated Fleas Do It...

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Concerned Irishman View Post
    No, it's asking specifically whether a jump to FG from Gilbore is on the cards. And no, I'm not referring to Michael O'Leary of Ryanair, I'm referring to the Michael O'Leary that was leader of the Labour Party in the early 80's, before telling them to go feck themselves while still in that office and abandoning ship to the Blueshirts.

Michael O'Leary (politician) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    On what evidence are you basing this fanciful supposition that Gilmore could be contemplating such an unlikely volte face.
    I know exactly who Michael O'Leary was and you have presented no evidence that Gilmore is considering following in his footsteps.
    "You want fame? Well, fame costs. And right here is where you start paying........"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast