Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Mobile phones as a surrogate for a life?

Politics.ie Member Marcos the black's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Mobile phones as a surrogate for a life?

Just chatting with a work colleague today and they were explaining to me why they were upgrading from funky fone 2750 to funky fone 27512x and how the benefits outweigh the costs... And so on...

But wait, aren't phones supposed to make phone calls, and texts from time to time? I, like most people have a computer in work, a computer at home, a tablet and a phone... I'm "online" 18 hours a day... And I've recently noticed that if I buy a product on Amazon accessories for that product are being advertised to me on p.ie and other sites... I don't need to view/access my Facebook/linkedin account on my phone and guess what if you email me a work email at 2 am I don't want my phone to wake the whole house up in the process....
    But I seem to be in the minority... Apparently if your phone can't series link, act as a boarding pass and update your location to the world and it's mother it's not a phone.....

Are we becoming too dependent/reliant on our communication devices as an alternative for.... You know... Communication.. Face to face.. And who's getting this info about YOU anyway...

Has this rant been done before? And yes I get the irony that I'm using the Internet question the Internet..
    You'll never go broke appealing to the lowest common denominator.

Caught between the moon and New York City
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

....not as ironic as me using my phone to add to your debate on over-reliance on phones.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What's your beef with phones as opposed to desktop computers or laptops?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mountaintop View Post
    ....not as ironic as me using my phone to add to your debate on over-reliance on phones.
    Ah... But isn't there a newer shinier version of your phone coming out in 2 months time that you just have to have cos it has jump leads with it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by westernyelp View Post
    What's your beef with phones as opposed to desktop computers or laptops?
    Cos both of those last for at least 5 years or so... And cost the same as the latest and greatest mobile phone.. Seems to me that everyone upgrades their phone at least once a year without counting the cost.. Is a mobile bill now a "utility" bill.. How many people do you know with a phone more than say 2 years old?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Still you'd be surprised how difficult it is to give up a mobile phone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Marcos the black View Post

Cos both of those last for at least 5 years or so... And cost the same.. Seems to me that everyone upgrades their phone at least once a year without counting the cost.. Is a mobile bill now a "utility" bill.. How many people do you know with a phone more than say 2 years old?
    Besides Enda Kenny , not many. But Moores law continues to hold true and most of the r&d these days goes into mobile devices.
    People like new shiny things that's why they change their phones. You are allowed keep them as long as you like.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by westernyelp View Post
    Besides Enda Kenny , not many. But Moores law continues to hold true and most of the r&d these days goes into mobile devices.
    People like new shiny things that's why they change their phones. You are allowed keep them as long as you like.
    "Allowed to keep them"... Yep..that's the mindset I'm after..

Politics.ie Royalty toxic avenger's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I only use my (rather basic) mobile rarely, sometimes text, and have never used it for any internetting. I have never downloaded any 'app' (a word I hate). The concept of being permanently contactable and permanently expected to be in contact (whether with individuals or the world via the internet) is something that horrifies me - I simply do not understand why people volunteer for this tyranny of contactability...

That is all.

Politics.ie Member gerhard dengler's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Perhaps, I'm a Luddite and old fashioned to boot but all this "LinkedIn, Facebook, Skype, Online Accessibility.........." is a blight in many regards.

The means have become the end.
    You cannot have a face to face conversation with someone without their mobile phone either ringing or being in receipt of a text message/alert.
    You can see their expression which says "I really need to look at my phone".
    I turn off my phone if I am going to a meeting or attending an appointment.
    I think it is the height of bad manners to be in a meeting to be interrupted by "an urgent phone call/text message".

I much prefer speaking to someone in person. Conversations on phone or by email or by any other electronic format is not as tangible as communication through human interaction.
    Politics.ie moderators should moderate instead.
    Welcome to Political Irish | Political Irish

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast